Thursday, April 26, 2018

After the rain

Much anticipated big rain came and washed the garden. Including the broad beans. And the aphids didn't waste any time. They were right back on the leafs having a party.
Still a little bit flour left but new big aphids don't care.
So I had to pour more flour on the plant. The Halloween theme continues. I bet I could have baked a lot of bread and pizzas for that amount of flour I am using. Good thing is the flour is old and already months past its best before date.
Even the spider web between the trellis got itself a coating
My baby leaf and salad bar is already sprouting and the leafs are easy to identify as they are in neat rows.
Just hope some poisonous weed doesn't sneak into those lines
As for my "hill" bed, with potato and peanuts, the peanuts are all fine but no flowers yet, so I am keeping the mulch on it a while longer until I have to hill them up later. But the potato plant that had sneaked into the bed (and not exactly the best spot, but on the edge) needed to be hilled up.
I got a couple of garlics in there too.
I am new to the hilling business so I am not sure if I did it right or not. I put some compost on top and then covered with dirt and made a tiny hill, burying maybe 10 cm of the plant. Since it is on the edge I won't be able to hill it up more without overflowing onto the path.
After hilling up
It was nice and sunny so I let the tomato get full sun by lifting its veil.
You may now kiss the tomat
I also noticed the couple of ripe strawberries and quickly took them. Only to notice that the tiny red ants had beat me to the little one, and had eaten part of it. It was still a tiny part and barely noticeable so I just cut away the bite marks and ate the rest. The big one was untouched and both were yummy.
Not sure how to keep the ants off them... they dig from outside the net.
And last but not least, the pond had filled up much more, and looks proper now.
Just to the left of its center, a mukade that met its destiny. Wonder if the tiny frogs or others eat it
Also it can be noticed that on the left side there are two leafs floating. Apparently when I brought soil from the local lake, I must have accidentally brought some roots too that is now growing and sending up leafs. Hope there will be flowers too. Still had not time to decorate the whole thing. Soon, soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment