Monday, December 17, 2018

Winter is coming

The potatoes in the backyard took their time to pop out and develop a few leafs and for a while it seemed they were big and strong enough to make it. But we had a couple of sudden frost nights in a row and I guess the top row of the backyard is the coldest (lesson learned) cause now they all look pretty dead... better luck next time I guess. I will plant potatoes up there in summer instead, and more hardy vegs in winter. The other veggies on the lower rows and under the nets are still fine.
Good to know what survives the cold
In a week or so I am going to start pruning the bushes and trees. Just waiting for the final leafs to fall too. Also I am supposed to widen the holes of the roof netting of the chicken run, so that snow doesn't pile up and collapses the whole run like it did last winter, and still not too wide holes so that chickens can fly out...
It is getting real cold now, and I am not going out more than necessary, which means only to feed the chickens, early in the morning when it is the coldest. Brrr, get out of warm and cozy bed and straight out into the cold.
The cats feel the cold too cause they more often than before set their differences aside and cuddle together to keep warm.
They fight a lot, but deep inside they are all friends
Oh, after 1,5 years, finally I came up how to make borders for the forest plots. After talking to the owners of the neighboring plots and a couple of surveyors, I picked the cheapest solution which means getting the neighbors' agreement and hanko on a measurement by the surveyor. The measurement will not be registered with the city, but is still official as there is a written agreement between us. The surveyor will basically define 4 lines using 8 concrete posts. These lines will be the borders between my 2 plots and their surrounding ones to the east and west. North and south borders are not going to be well defined. South border is a dirt path belonging to the city, which is so-so defined as its shape can be seen, kind of, without having to measure. North border is a narrow and very steep strip of forest which is share-owned by over 100 people, many of them I assume are not even alive. It is not really used.
Anyway, having the west and east boundaries defined, I can do what I want within my land as long as I don't try to push to north or south too much. I will just leave a meter or so just to be safe.     
I am not interested in planting anything in the south path, and neither in the steep north strip.
First measurements are supposed to be done next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment