Monday, July 15, 2019

Mr. Potatohead

The rain doesn't stop... even those days that are not rainy there is this misty downfall that makes everything wet. I am still waiting for the shredder part to arrive, and thanks to the constant rain haven't been to the forest in like 2 weeks. So one of those non-rainy misty days I went over expecting the plot to be overgrown with bamboos...
It was overgrown but mostly with weeds. The bamboos seem to have taken a break in sending thick shoots up, and instead are sending thin baby shoots that spawn lots of leaves. Nevertheless, they all had to go so I spent some time cleaning them out. Also, realizing that all the bamboo that make up the "flooring" of the plot aren't going anywhere soon, I started to move them to the back of the plot, opening up the main area for doing other things like burning bamboos or felling trees or digging. Just moving all those thick bamboos is hard work too so I just managed to clear a 2 meter wide strip so far. When I was all spent, I thought I should go over to the field where I planted potatoes and melons and see if there is anything there. I haven't done anything at all to help them grow. Just put in the seeds and left them there... too busy to even check on them.
There were a few, maybe 5-6 melon plants that had just started blooming, which I guess will die with all this rain. And as for the potatoes, there was nothing, so I assumed they had already sprouted and grown and died, just like the ones in my backyard and the garden.
I picked a random spot and dug a few centimeters with my hands, and there were potatoes. Not huge ones but anyway. So although I was tired as fuck, I spent another hour digging out all the potatoes from the field.
The harvest
I think weight-wise at least I got more spuds that I put in. But I wouldn't call it a success exactly.
Let's clean those babies
Luckily there was a lot of tiny ones which I just love. I just fry them like they are and they taste great.
All washed and ready to store
I am keeping them in a cardboard box and shake it once or twice a day cause I heard they will develop skin that way. After a few days I can move them to the fridge. If any left, cause I we are already eating them every day.
In the garden, the passion fruit is blooming and making new fruits despite the rain. It is adjusting to the trellis just fine, and I hope come winter I will be able to just cover it with plastic to avoid frost.
Passion

No comments:

Post a Comment