Saturday, May 30, 2020

Overall status

Here is a report of what everything looks like as of today. In alphabetical order.
Ajisai flowers
The huge ajisai bush in the backyard which I got from the previous owner keeps flourishing without any effort from me. Another thing that has grown big and happy with minimum effort from me is the small berry shrub near the house entrance. The only thing I did for that one was to not cut it down, and move its branches from time to time so they are exposed to the sun.
Berries
Blueberries are also starting to come out. I am glad it survived my turning the whole bush 180 degrees. In a month or so it will be jam time.
Just a few of them.
Talking about shrubs... the other day I was cleaning out weeds near the parking and froze when I saw a wasp just inches from my face making a nest in the bushes. It's one of those long leg wasps that I have mixed feelings about. Anyway, I sure don't wanna have them making a huge nest in my garden so I can't go out. Therefore I nipped the nest in the bud so to speak.
There were already a few larvae and some eggs in there
Moving on to the garden, the carrots finally decided to come out.
A bed of carrots. They're still tiny though
Right next to the carrots is a whole mess of trees and stuff.
The walnut trees
From left we got 2 walnuts, 1 mulberry, 3 mikans, 1 kiwi, 2 pomegranate, 1 fig and some other stuff that I am not sure if they live or not.
And to the right of all that is the chicken run with the providers of egg.
bwaaak
Here is a close up of the figs. They are real nice size but I am not sure when they will ripen.
There's 6 of them this year
Here is a better view of the fruit saplings
mikan at bottom, fig on top, kiwi to left and pomegranate in center
In the backyard, I planted grapes almost right after we moved in 3 years ago. It was a pretty lousy job the way I planted it and it's a miracle it still lives. The grapes are the seedy type which I am not sure I will enjoy eating. Anyway, it was climbing up the fence which I realized was a bad idea cause almost all the leafs and the flowers got on the south side, i.e. outside my garden where nobody can reach. So I disconnected it gently and wrapped it instead around a stake and some netting inside the backyard. Still, the soil up there is pretty crappy so I don't have very high hopes.
said grape is on left side of the top row
Another thing I planted early on is the mulberry tree which was taking a bush shape but I am training to become a tree because I don't have much space. Every day I get a handful of nice and ripe berries.
black mulberries
In the backyard over the burial place I have my nightshade family. Piman, tomatoes and eggplant.
And in the center front is a baby terminator
The plums/anzu or whatever it produces tree which I sprayed with neem oil has produced much much less plum pockets, and a little more actual fruit this year. Hmm... maybe I give it a chance after all. I will spray it again next winter and hope for even more improvement.
I actually can get 2 fruits in one shot 
Next in the backyard are the group of random insect repellents that don't work.
mikan, onion and marygold. Smell nice.
Let's not forget the mini pond I made...
Lotus flowers and some other water plants
Again, those water things also take no effort. Another effortless poor thing that lives in my garden is the rose.
Thanks for not dying
The backyard steps are almost full of weeds this year. Although I have picked weeds like twice already. I did plant some potatoes, lots of different flowers, string beans and strawberries, but somehow the weeds seem to like it the most. I will give the whole thing a new try again soon.
What can I say... I'm a lazy bum
In the middle of the garden is the strawberry bed, with the new-coming pears.
In the back there are the cherry trees and green peas
And finally, in the forest front, I am digging a little at a time, and this is how far I have come
Almost a quarter of the length

No comments:

Post a Comment