Sunday, January 24, 2021

First row almost finished

It is starting to actually look like a row, finally. I walked along the row and estimated that with 3 meters distance between trees I could fit in 9 trees in each row. However, there is a section of the row where the plot border angles inwards, making the straight row as narrow as only 1 meter. I don't think it would be a good idea to plant a tree in that section. Maybe a shrub or a nitrogen fixer or something. I even though back about putting a couple of beehives there, but I think it would be too much hassle.

I use my superior drawing skills again

Anyway I will skip planting trees in the section where it gets real narrow, so in the first row I should get 6 or 7 trees only. I also bought some cover seeds, like vetch and wheat which I plan to put on there as soon as it feels like there won't be any more frost. In between the fruit trees I shall plant nitrogen fixing trees , what sort I still have not decided.

Row 1 on the right side

While waiting for winter to end, I will finish row 2 and its tatami path as well.
Under construction

I got a bit lazy and instead of pulling out the big dead bamboo butt I just left it there and dug around it, making sure there are no surviving roots. I can balance a tatami mat on top of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment