Monday, July 23, 2018

Giant hornet?

Of course with the Pentax I just had to take a picture of the lily in the pond that does its beauty more justice.
Ahhhh...
 The pond is a nice feature. Plus dragonflies have started laying eggs in it. The frogs are all gone into hiding, but the other day I did spot one of them jumping around under the leafs in the peanuts bed. It had grown up quite a lot.
I have seen Tora chasing and eating lizards so I suspect that from the maybe 30 frogs that survived and are hiding around the garden most of them are being eaten up by Tora.... just a theory.
Dragonflies love to spend time around the pond
I'd like to think that we have less mosquitoes now that the chickens and the dragonflies and frogs are around. But I still get bitten a lot. Of course, compared to last year same time it is much less...
I have noticed that every morning there is a big wasp drinking/gathering water from the pond. Same thing in the evenings. I did watch closer for a few days, and it turned out they are several wasps taking turns and making rounds to bring water from the pond to I guess their nest. I tried to follow them and see where they fly to but it seems to be far away past the neighbor houses. At least that's a plus. I don't want a wasp or hornet next in our house or the garden.
Not sure what kind it is though
I hope it's not a giant hornet (suzumebachi). It is pretty big.. Maybe 4 cm. I don't wanna get too close to snap a picture, and they fly away quickly once they had their fill. I used the telescope lens on the Pentax to take the picture above. So this is the best picture I have so far. I will try to take a better picture some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment