Monday, January 14, 2019

I can see clearly now

Finally, a couple more days and I have now removed ALL the bamboo from my lot.
Day 9
With the bamboo gone, I can see all the way to the lot next to mine from the other side. Next I have to get rid of the sugi trees. I shall start with the thinnest one and fell it, to get a feeling of how easy or hard it is. If it proves to be difficult, I will ask a professional...
Day 10
The ground is covered with fallen bamboos in all random directions crossing and lying on top of each other, so it is a high heap. My next step before getting to the sugi trees is to tidy up the ground. I don't have a chipper, and even if I had one I could only chip the green freshly cut bamboos, not the brown hardened ones. So what I will do is to cut all the fallen bamboo into 2-4 meter long pipes, and lay them all down in the same direction so they cover the ground properly. Like bamboo flooring...
Final Day
In the final day picture one can see all the sugi trees that are standing. Not so many. But tougher to cut down...
On the north side (right in the picture) is the shared slope with something like 100 unknown owners. I can't leave those bamboos as they are because they all lean over my lot, and one by one will fall over my saplings or whatever I have. So after I am done with the bamboo flooring I need to cut those back too as far as I can, and not let new shoots pop up.
On the south, there are no big trees leaning over my land but a few (maybe 40-50?) bamboos. I have to find the owner of that lot and ask if she allows me to clean up the bamboo in her land. That way I will get more sun too. When all that is done, then I can start with the sugis. And after that I can start putting things in the lot.
So, to summarize my todo list:
1- tidy up the ground, flatten the "flooring" and block the sun
2- cut back bamboos in north and add those to the ground cover
3- clean up the south side forest
4- keep new shoots to come up in all those areas
5- cut down sugis
6- plant young trees. I am thinking cut holes in the "flooring" where I want to put in a sapling and dig a hole only there. That way I will keep the natural ground cover longer, and bio life will hopefully take care of the dying and rotting bamboo roots beneath.
Final day, taken from other side
The north bamboo wall is clearer visible in the last picture from the other side. Also the messy ground can be seen better.
Oh, and I have a chance to maybe get back those 4-5 meters that I was missing on the border when we dug in concrete posts. I mentioned the miscalculation for Mr. K and he said he doesn't mind if we dig up the post and put it in the right place, but he wanted us to check with Mr. O too.
We checked and all agreed that the border line looks weird the way it is, and that it doesn't match the actual map, and as a result my land is more than 50 sqm smaller than it should be. So it should be corrected. But they said it is best to do it properly, and check with the owners around the area if any of them remembers where the old road used to go. The reason they want to find that out is that on the map the old road happens to intersect with the current visible road exactly at the border between my land and Mr. K's so if we know that road, we are sure to know the almost exact point where the post should go.
Visual aid for the confusing description above

No comments:

Post a Comment