Monday, February 18, 2019

Dull saw, or just weak?

Gradually the bamboo flattening is progressing but I am too eager to wait till it is finished properly before trying my hands on a sugi tree...
So I geared up with my chainsaw again (it was a while ago I brought it along since the flattening and de-branching can be done with just a tiny handsaw) and headed to the plot.
My gear when going to the forest... until I get my car
Did a of the usual branch cutting first and when I got bored of that, I decided to challenge the smallest of the sugi trees, as a way of measuring my and my tool's strength.
The first to fall. Doesn't look very challenging does it?
Here is the same tree, close up. I have started wearing special gloves because after all the rain and snow the bamboo are all wet and slippery, plus I don't want to cut my fingers again. These are not dish washer gloves even though they look like it. They are much thicker and have real good grip. Underneath I wear a pair of normal gardening gloves.
Feel the force. May the power of our lord cut you down.
I hit the trunk with the full force of the fully loaded chainsaw, and went at it for a good 5 minutes until it felt like the saw was not going any deeper. Here is the result of that effort.
Not impressive
Even the tiny green bug that was resting on the tree did not think it was worth moving for. It just sat there and watched while I gave it another try, but it got no better.
Tough bugger
OK, tree. You win this round. But I'll be back. I don't know yet how but I will be back even if I have to cut you down with an axe. I am guessing either the chainsaw teeth have gone dull, or that the engine is too weak, even if it was enough for cutting thick bamboos, and that a real man's gasoline engine chainsaw is needed. I will think about it and try again.
In the meantime, I sulked and went back to my flattening. I even spread some leaves on the path I made next to the plot to make its tracks more presentable. I am pretty happy with that.
Looking north from the south west corner
Looking east from the same corner, with the path visible
The sun reaches the plot nicely now... and so does the rain and the wind. Just need to get rid of those sugis... 

No comments:

Post a Comment