Monday, February 25, 2019

Meanwhile, at the forest...

I got tired of the flattening. Not physically but it is now clear to me that I have too much bamboo on my hands. Even if I cover the ground twice over, there will be more. And I cannot really walk on top of them as I imagined, even if they are laid neatly in parallel.
So, I took a break and ordered a wood chipper. It should arrive early March. In the meantime, it is getting warmer and we are getting less and less frost so I took an hour to prepare the soil where I borrowed some land.
I dug a couple of straight lines, raised a bit of dirt and put up some old tunnel frames. Just that one long bed is so big I think I will not need more land unless I have a tractor or lots more to plant.
I will make one more row next to this one and plant potatoes. And Just in case I will make one more row next to that with tunnel.
I don't think I will be able to keep up with more than 2-3 long rows like that but one never knows. It is my first time and I have no idea what kind of effort is needed, so I am improvising.
I did this manually with a hoe... so
Just to show how big the land I am borrowing is, here is the land with my newly made row at the far end. Actually I couldn't get the whole land inside the frame so it is bigger.
Yep it's big
The soil is the best quality I have seen so far though, nice and soft and full of life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment