Monday, March 11, 2019

Lift me up

Still no car... probably they're gonna wait till the last last day of March.
In the meantime, the mini forklift came, so I had something to do...
My first thought was... Man, this thing is heavy!
Lucky for me, it was a sunny day, in between rainy days so I got a break to assemble it. However, it seems to be made on some other planet so I didn't get a break when it comes to manual. At first glance, the instructions are in English, and I was so happy to see it. Then started to read it and quickly I wished it had been a Japanese manual. Not only did the language make no sense, but the picture looked nowhere near what I had bought. Great. Time to dust off and use the old brain.
Engrish but not funny
I did manage to put the thing together, no thanks to the manual, but to my own basic knowledge in mechanics.
Nice!
Next I decided to keep both the lift and the chipper in the car port. Now that all the logs are gone, there is a lot of space there. Even with the bikes and the coming mini truck, there is still plenty space. Plus the shed in the backyard is just full and keeping the chipper in there is kind of awkward and in the way. So I bought a large waterproof sheet to cover them with.
Chipper in its temporary home in the shed.
With the chipper's wheels pumped it was easy to roll it back around the house by myself. Not at all as hard and problematic as when we brought it to the shed.
Once the chipper was in the front, I tried loading it onto the lift.... and discovered that there was no comfortable balanced position that the chipper would fit onto the fork. The only way is if someone keeps a hand on the handle of the chipper to avoid it from rolling off or falling off...
I think I can remedy this by not loading the chipper directly onto the lift. Instead I will load the chipper onto the cart I have which is broad and stable, and then load the cart onto the lift.
Either way, another problem is that the lift itself is not exactly the best tool... because it weighs like 50 kg, so after loading the chipper onto the truck, I have to lift the lift onto the truck too somehow, without breaking my back.
I guess a ramp is best. Just wheel the chipper up to the truck using ramp. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Anyway both the chipper and the lift now live under tarp in the car port.
Meanwhile...
In the garden slowly things are coming back to life. I have yet not planted any seeds though, it is still too cold. And if I plant things indoors as preparation like I did last year, the two new cats will eat them up. Mini and Oreo are just too wild and too curious still. They eat, tear and break anything that is new to them.
Broad beans and garlic
Most of the vegetables I planted in the end of summer popped up but went to sleep when it cold colder, and now are waking up and resuming their growth.
Random salads
Last year I pulled a lot of weeds and planted lots of random salad seeds everywhere. Now they too are coming up. I guess I have to study about different salads that I planted, like how to recognize them. Otherwise I may end up eating weeds...
Some vegetables are really late, or really early.
Random shot
I worry a bit about the asparagus. Not sure if they are dead or just sleeping. No sign of life yet though.
Chingensai are blooming
Broccoli will start blooming too soon
And finally, the covered greens in the backyard

No comments:

Post a Comment