Monday, June 10, 2019

Rainy season

Whenever I talk to a Japanese, they are so proud that in Japan the four seasons are so very distinguished, boxed in and clear. On the other hand they don't mention the other half unidentified seasons. Rainy season is one of those. In a matter of days the hot summer weather turned into cold autumn. Actually rainy season is supposed to be hot and humid but not this year. It was cold rain and winds. Yuck. Needless to say I got plenty of rest indoors.
Of course as soon as the rain stopped, even for a few hours, I ran out and tried to do something with my time. For example, I continued cutting the bamboos on the north wall and stack them nicely.
I think I'm about 1/5 of the way through
After the wall part is done, I will go a ask permission one more time, just to be sure, to cut all the bamboos on the north plot which may fall down on mine. The north plot is 2 meters higher than my plot. Right now I am just cutting the slope between which is common ground.
Other than that, I just let the bamboos soak in the constant rain...
The rain has filled the pond in the garden nicely and one more lotus flower has come up.
Ouhmmmm...serenity
I spent some hard time digging and pulling out the huge bush in the garden, at the same time as bees were trying to feast on its flowers. It is a miracle I didn't get stung.
Halfway done
The dirt under my fingers look very esthetic, it almost looks like I have had them done by a professional.
Not!
Anyway, what I did was to pull out as much roots as I could, and cleared a pretty wide circle. I also dug down the slope and made it more flat. The clay that I dug out from the deeper parts, I used to make the entrance to the garden more horizontal. When it is snowing or raining, that part gets slippery and dangerous, so if I make a clay path that resembles steps or something, maybe it is an improvement.. Before planting the apple sapling, I back-filled the hole with the contents of the compost bin which I was going to move. It is pretty smelly. Hope it gets better after being buried for a while. I haven't gotten the grip on composting yet. My composts attract flies and smell horrible.
Right now, the place where I planted the apple looks like a mound, which I will fix later by filling around it with more top soil from the slope above it. That way the shallower roots will have somewhere to go.
Done
Also I haven't "planted" the second compost bin yet. I just put it there for the time being until the rains stop and allow me to borrow it down into the dirt. After that I will try and fix the entrance path...
All the rain and wind is making some of the vegetables very happy and they are growing extra. Others don't look so happy...
The corn are tilting....


No comments:

Post a Comment