Monday, October 14, 2019

More typhoons

Just when I thought we were done with typhoons, another approached us. It was supposed to be the biggest in 60 years. The news said it is like 10 times bigger than the last one this year, and that one was pretty huge and disastrous, and we were urged to prepare for worst and evacuate if told. Its calculated path was right above Chiba. So I prepared for the worst.
Before that though, I paid a visit to the forest to burn a bit of bamboo and to check that the newly cleared path was still there. When I arrived I saw the city office' truck parked at the entrance to the forest, and further down I saw 3 guys walking the path toward my plot.
Hooray! They're here to check where they should be pouring gravel. I ran and caught up with them and showed them around. Told them where the path goes and how it is expected to look.
They said they would do it today, but they had typhoon preparations so they promised to do it next week. Yippeee! Finally I can drive there.
I cleaned up a little more inside my plot, and moved the logs of the sugi trees that I fell a couple of weeks earlier and laid them along the new path, to mark where my land is. Those logs are pretty heavy and it's not as easy as the bamboos to just move aside by any passerby.
My plot is opening up from the center and outward
The path with logs
My plot seen from south-west corner
Anyway, back home and shut the shutters and tape the windows and wait for the worst. There was a lot of rain and an earthquake, before the typhoon hit us.
The typhoon was pretty normal to be honest. It was over within an couple of hours and not much had changed when I looked outside the next day. Even the forest was almost unchanged, except maybe 2 trees that had fallen. None of them in my plots though...
I suppose when they said the typhoon was the biggest ever, they meant the area it covered, rather than its wind strength. There were some tornadoes maybe 5-6 hours before the typhoon came, and those caused much much worse damage, like tore up houses and turned cars upside down and killed people. Otherwise, the typhoon brought with it lots and lots of rain and people were suddenly wading to their nipples in water. None of that was near us though. We saw it all on the news, where they showed how rivers were overflown.
The next morning, I checked the forest and it looks like one tree that was leaning dangerously over my other plot which I hoped would get cut down, had actually decided to fall over, but was stopped and supported by one of the sugi trees in my plot. Oh well, I guess it will fall when the next typhoon hits.
It's leaning all right.
I hope the city office folks don't think it's too scary to lay gravel under there...
Speaking of leaning trees, both the walnut saplings in my garden are leaning fiercely to the north-west. Even normal wind is pretty strong there, so even though I planted them straight, they keep leaning more and more. I guess I have to come up with some sort of support till they have grown bigger.
I'm just using ropes right now, but need something more stable


No comments:

Post a Comment