Sunday, June 11, 2017

This land is your land

Hooray! Finally I have paid the forest plot fully and it is now mine officially.
The agent didn't manage to book a room at the bank so the payment had to be done at the bank lobby. It was quite confusing with 3 parties (me, my agent and the seller who also acted as his own agent) filling in forms and signing simultaneously, with the agent (Let's call him "Mr. T.") running back and forth trying to orchestrate the whole thing wearing his full business suite and bowing constantly to all parties, all the while avoiding to bump into other people who were at the bank.
It was a very hot day, just about lunch time. I was wearing just a T-shirt and was drowning in sweat even though we were inside the air conditioned bank. I guess I was a bit nervous too. But felt real sorry for Mr.T. who must have been extremely hot and uncomfortable.

I had to fill in forms to withdraw 3 amounts, one to pay directly in cash to the land registration dude who also was there, one for the agent's fee to be deposited into their company account, which Mr.T. was filling a form for, and one for the remainder of the land price to be transferred to the seller, which the seller was also filling a deposit form for.
As I don't have my bank account number in my head, to fill in my forms, I used my bank card to look it up. The bank is very anal about how I write my name, and my name on the card is in katakana so I used katakana in the forms to match my card. I also put my secret bank signature (Yes, this is before I got hanko, so I had to come up with a signature to use only for the bank when I opened an account.)

Each of the forms I filled was reviewed by Mr.T. to make sure the amount was correct, and after he reviewed each, he scribbled something just behind the amount which I assumed to be an end mark (To avoid misunderstanding or to avoid someone sticking in an extra number in there and making the amount 10 times higher.). I could not make out what it was to be honest, it looked like the offspring of an eel and a crow. Anyway, when it was all done, Mr.T. took a number and we stood in line for the bank cashier.

After a bit of waiting our number was called and we handed over the nicely filled forms. The cashier asked for my bank book as well as my ID, looked up my account in their database and said "Oh, your name is registered in romaji with us, not katakana. Sorry but can you fill in new forms with the right name?" I got a deja vu feeling as this had happened to me before, only I didn't remember which was the wrong one, katakana or romaji (my card is in katakana, my bank book is in romaji. Stupid.)

Sure thing. The problem was that we somehow decided to fill in new forms right there instead of taking a new number, so everyone else just stood there uncomfortably while I was doing the forms and the cashier was pretending to be busy on her computer. So I started to sweat even more. While I was filling in the first form, I asked the cashier "What should I write just before the amount to mark the beginning of number?" to which she answered "Just put a Yen sign there."

I didn't think more of it, just filled in with romaji name and put the japanese kanji for Yen as end mark. Mr.T. reviewed the amounts one by one, and when I was finished with all 3 forms, we gave them to the cashier.

She started processing them but suddenly stopped, "Oh..... I meant the international Yen sign, not the Yen kanji" she said. "So sorry but can you please fill in new forms again?"
Oh boy... again we went through the filling in process and Mr.T. reviewing my amounts, this time with everything correctly filled in.

After this was finished I told Mr.T. "well, at least this can serve as a rehearsal for the house payment later this month. I won't be doing these mistakes there." and he said, "Yep, plus I have actually booked a room for that, since there will be even more people involved."

I made sure to destroy the wrongly filled forms as they all had my secret bank signature. Not that anyone would ever manage to withdraw any money from my account even with this information. My bank is super strict and it is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment