Tuesday, January 21, 2020

...And then there was 1 left

I am leaving 6 sugi trees on the west side of the plot. All of them are right on the border line, and all 6 lean into Mr. O's land and I don't wanna risk breaking any of his trees by felling mine. Only if he pushes me to get rid of my trees, then I will do it with him, But I guess he will need to clear his land a bit more so my sugis don't get stuck on his on their way down...
On the south side, there are 4 sugis, one of which I am going to leave to mark where the path goes. I am afraid that without such solid marker the path will gradually enter my plot.
So... 3 sugis to be chopped down on south side. The biggest thickest one has to be cut first. Actually I think that is the biggest sugi tree in the whole plot. The other 2 are right next to it, on its south side. The smallest of the three is leaning into my plot and should be pretty easy to fell, but is blocked by the big tree which is why I have to fell it first. The other one should go last cause it has a leaning towards the path, and I think I have to use wedges to get it to fall into my plot. It is slightly smaller than the huge tree so I take that problem when it is time...
With that background, I had problem sleeping on the night before the felling of the huge tree. Actually I was going to ask Mr. O's permission too because it leans north-west, meaning it will definitely fall over his plot too if it falls along its natural lean. But for some reason I wanted to skip the asking permission part.
I kept tossing and turning and imagining how the tree would fall and trying to remember how much its lean it actually was, and going over different strategies to fell it. Yep, I was pretty nervous about the outcome and didn't get a good sleep.
In the morning I went and had a better look at the tree and its lean and slowly and nervously started cutting it down. I made the face cut as much as I could towards north and then continued to cut its back. Learning from my previous mistake, I made the back cut higher up, and made sure I cut in a way that kept the tree in place by providing support where I wanted it to not fall. I kept taking breaks to check the lean over and over again. Eventually I made the final cuts to release the supports and the tree started to squeek and fell slowly to the north.
On its way down I saw that it untangled itself from the smallest sugi's branches next to it, so that when it let go it made the thin tree bend back and forth like it was made of rubber. Wow, I was extremely relieved that the huge tree fell so perfectly toward north and didn't fall into Mr. O's plot.
It also doubles as a see-saw now
Either it was a well behaved tree and I was worrying too much, or I was getting a little better at chopping trees down. Either way, I was happy and ready to take on the small tree which should be a piece of cake.
Yeee-Haaaa!
I made a couple of quick cuts into the smaller tree but it didn't move or fall as I had expected.
What I had missed was that the tree actually was not leaning to north as it seemed before. Its branches were all tangled into the huge tree's and that kind of dragged it toward north but now that it was released it was leaning to the south. It had taken a minute after the big tree fell for the small tree to stop bending back and forth and I didn't look up to check its lean again before cutting into it. It's fake lean to north was so big that I kind of assumed it was still leaning north.
So, with face cut on the opposite side of its lean, and pretty large and straight cut into where it leaned, by the time my chainsaw approached the middle of the tree it got stuck good cause the tree with all its weight wanted to fall in that direction where the chainsaw was.
The only thing stopping it from falling over the path and onto the opposite forest plot to south was a narrow strip of wood still intact, plus the chainsaw that kind of acted like a wedge.
D'Oh! What a anticlimax, after the success of the huge tree, to fail so badly on the small tree. I hurried on bicycle as fast as I could (Chika's bike that I had borrowed, cause mine had died) back home and brought wedges with me. Hurried back expecting the tree to have already fallen over by the wind or some animal, but it was still up. I managed to use the wedges to make a small small gap just tiny enough to release the chainsaw. However the lean was too big for the wedge to change its falling direction so it had to fall to south.
With the chainsaw I removed the last tiny strip and it fell, blocking the path. But the forest in the south stopped it to fall down so it kind of just hung there almost upright.
So I went to work, cutting a meter at a time from its bottom so it would fall a little bit further, but every time it fell new branches in the forest would block it.
Finally I managed to cut enough of it so that it pointed right up, slightly to the south, with its bottom buried 10-20 cm in the ground on the south side of the path. It was stable enough so after that I gave up for the day and went home.
And then there was one
You can see the small tree as I left it in the picture. It's on the right side of the path, looking almost like a normal tree that has grown there from beginning.
I was going to go back on the next day with new energy and chop up the rest of that tree, hoping it would fall somehow through the thick vegetation in the south. And after whatever happened with that, my aim was to fell the remaining one sugi in the south. That one is also leaning to south over the path. And it is much thicker than the small tree that I failed at. So after what happened, I am extremely nervous if I can do it right. I am thinking maybe the best way would be to let it fall over to south, as long as there are no huge trees in its way, I should be able to gradually chop it up... or?
Another sleepless night.

No comments:

Post a Comment