Monday, January 13, 2020

Cutting down sugis

Over the weekend I took my Husqvarna chainsaw along and went to work with the trees in the bamboo plot. Here are a couple of shots of what the plot looked like before I went to town.
Before! Took this from south side
Same spot, viewed from east
I figured I should start with the easy ones and work my way up, so I cut down the smallest sugis which leaned inwards first. Not so many of those though so I quickly got my hands on the heavier stuff...
A couple trees down
Here is a pic of one of the biggest ones.
Big log
Thanks to the chainsaw being new, it went pretty smoothly, except for one of the smaller ones that was leaning outward. I hadn't brought my wedges so it fell over in the neighbor's plot. Luckily it didn't hit any trees or caused any damage so I quickly chopped it up and cleared it away.
A count of the rings showed that all these trees, regardless of their girth, are more or less of same age, about the same age as me.
I took some nice pictures of the rings while I was counting so I dump them here...
Rings
more rings
I chopped the logs up for later
Close up of rings

No comments:

Post a Comment