Thursday, August 17, 2017

Buds

My dump pile
I think I must be doing something wrong with my compost heap in the corner of the garden, because yesterday when after half a week of almost constant rain the weather cleared and I went out to check the garden, I saw that all the melon seeds I had thrown away had germinated and lots of tiny tiny melon leaves had popped up from the top of the compost pile. I dug a little under the compost and it sure was hot and cozy, plus there was nothing recognizable in there so I guess all the crap I throw away in the compost must have decomposed. Except for the seeds that are now growing.
I decided to give them a chance, even though it is out of season. Maybe I will learn something. It means I won't be turning the compost pile for a while... 

In other bud news, my carrots are not up yet as expected. I heard they are late to germinate. But the salads and baby leafs are up now, and so are all the flower seeds I spread out in the backyard.
My dump pile. No wait, my bed for salads
Note how similar to my compost heap my so called raised bed is. Oh well, I am a newbie, and so is the bed. It was a badly maintained lawn with tiny bamboo sticking out everywhere, so I hope it will start looking better and better for every season.

No comments:

Post a Comment