Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Coop footprint

So I went out in the morning with a couple of boards to verify my coop design would actually fit in the corner. The design is based on "Plan C" which I earlier wrote about. Here is a modified and updated drawing of it after some additional thinking.
Plan D - from space
The kiwi will be removed (shown with red cross over it), the smaller part of the run would eventually be bigger if I make its wall along the alternative purple line instead of the orange line.
There would be a door to go into the big run (huh huh) and clean up the coop. The nest boxes would be facing north east where the big bush currently is. The coop itself would be a bit more elongate (over 2 meters long)
It was raining so I had to move quickly and placed the boards along where I had in mind. Here are some pictures of the kind of foot print I made with a couple of board. It seems to fit.
Overview.. I guess
The above picture is taken from north east side. The board closest to the camera is where the door would be. Due to rain I didn't have time to make the right length boards and boards where the short sides of the coop would be, so please imagine that part (or make.believe)
close up of big run
 You also have to imagine the big run's wall (the wall without door) as shown above.
the coop itself
Above shows the coop footprint. The long sides are 2 meters or more (The boards are 2 meter exactly), with the "more" shown by the gap between the right board and the board on upper left corner of the picture (which is the wall of the small run).
A slightly different angle
That gap is 40 cm, so keeping things as they are boarded (!), the coop would be 240x120 cm=2.88 sqm which is well above the need of 6 chickens. If my calculations are correct, the run (sum of the small run, the big run and the underside run of the coop) amounts to 5.6 sqm, again just above the need of 6 birds. This calculation is based on the small run having its wall along the orange line (i.e. the small version of the small run)
The small run, next to the drop
So, at least this shape and size and position seem to satisfy the requirements, and it lets me use the fence already in place as part of the run wall. Now I have to make a proper design of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment