Sunday, August 6, 2017

Tractor

So, this weekend as part of my preparing the land I spend half of the day digging in the clay ground with a hoe, and mixing in all organic matter I could get my hands on, to cover it when I was done, so that the soil would become more...plantable.
After having dug about four meter long bed size, I was completely finished, and looking around, in comparison I had not covered any major area yet. Taking a break from the killer sun I went to the overflowing shed to see what other useful tools is buried among the things that I inherited from the previous owner.
The shed is so full I have not yet been able to sort out its contents. I more or less accidentally discover what is in it. For example the first week I bought sandpaper only to find an old sanding machine in the shed the same afternoon.
Anyway, I had spotted a small machine (or part of it that was not buried) that looked like a tiny lawnmower but I didn't bother looking closer as I am not interested in maintaining a lawn (I have also seen other lawn-related things in the shed). For some reason I suddenly got a feeling that it may after all not be a mower so I dug around it and pulled it out and saw that it in fact was a light tractor...
What perfect timing, I was completely spent after having dug with a hoe so I really needed a tractor. There was no gas in it though so searching a bit more in the shed I found a small gas container with some in it. I set everything up and attempted to start the tractor on the garden.
....and of course it failed to start. I kept pulling on the starter rope over and over again for maybe 15 minutes, eventually feeling that I may have finished digging the whole garden by now if I had spent the same amount of energy using the hoe.
Just when I was considering giving up due to the burning pain in my arm having pulled the rope for a constant 15 minutes and swearing, the motor started as if the whole thing had been a practical joke.
I ran the tractor/tiller back and forth for a while but it was too light. It kept jumping up and down and I had too really push it to even penetrate the soil a little bit.
Finally both me and the tractor ran out of gas and I returned it to the shed to rest. I think I will prepare the beds by hand and hoe.
Next weekend hopefully some seeds I ordered will arrive and I can do some planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment