Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Coop design and other things




I spent most of my weekend designing the coop in detail. I used a new app on my mobile which surprised me as I didn't think you could do advanced 3d designs in real time this easily on mobile.

Also, pushed by my gal, I planted some flowers in the backyard, and some salads and carrots in the first raised bed I prepared. The seeds are already coming up 💚

I also took a branch from a pomegranate tree nearby which had very delicious looking fruits, and set it in some rooting hormone. Hopefully I will get a clone of that tree to plant in my garden soon.

Here molimolimoli...

And based on my suspicions that moles are digging around below my garden (moles are a sign that there are lots of grubs living in the ground, which is quite true in my case, and lets not forget all the grub-eating lizards running around in the garden), I set a mole trap (it doesn't exactly trap but kill) 2 days ago but since then there has been constant rain, and I read moles don't come out much while it is raining. And so the trap is just sitting there...

That is not a tennis court inside, just a software glitch

Back to the coop design, after a bit of back and forth, and finding out our home center doesn't sell 2x4 longer than 180 cm, and seeing how I would have to add lots of extra joints and supports to have a 240 cm long coop, I decided to make the coop 190 cm long (182 plus 2 times 4 added by the end pieces of the frame) and instead of 6 chickens go with 5.

We are not looking to sell eggs, and for our own consumption 5 hens should be plenty anyway.
I did make the coop design a little wider though (120 cm), so it is actually just big enough for 6 birds. But I figured the recommended figures are minimum, so while having 6 chicks would be just safe, 5 birds would be living in the same area much more comfortably.
Whatever, let's go with 5 and see what happens...if it seems too roomy, I will add one more chick.

I realized how long time designing coop takes. Maybe because I, being the moron I am, do it on my smartphone. Or maybe it is so fun for me that I subconsciously prolong the process. I add some bits, move some other bits around, go out and measure in the garden, and change the design a bit again and repeat... The design kind of grows by itself. My goal is to make a design that I feel happy with, then make a list of material based on it and build the whole thing in a weekend. I need 1 day for buying/cutting/assembling, and 1 day for painting, and both days should be rain-free. Looking at the weather forecast we will have at least 10 days more or less constant rain, so I have lots of time to make a real good design. So far the basic frame is good. Now I have to add window/ventilation, walls, lids, roosts and poop board.

A little explanation. The coop will be connected to the fenced run on its south side and its west side, so I can have windows and doors and openings on those sides without fear of chickens running away. On the coop's east side I have two nests which will have a lid with lock for collecting eggs and cleaning. I will have a tiny hole just below the roof, and two more holes in the nests for ventilation that can be covered if needed. On south side, there is a big door for cleaning. That is pretty much the only place I could have the door. On the north side it would be too crowded/uncomfortable what with the drop and all that. I figured if I got rid of a couple of the spruces (yeah I know, it keeps changing), I would have enough space to have the door open wide and access the inside. The door hinges on left.
Next to the door there should be a window. It is a good place for window and the ventilation and light it gives because I will have the roosts (2 roosts north to south) just above the window on either side of it, and hence the poop board will go just below the window. The window would be kept open all the time unless it is cold in the winter.
I am still thinking about maybe some way to let more light in, like a plastic/glass window up-high.
The roosts are about 60 cm above the coop floor, and 30 cm below them will be a poop board which will double as a stepping level. It will have enough width to cover area under the roosts, plus 2x15 cm extra for when the chicks poop with their butts facing out (tihi). The poop board will be mounted on horizontal bars along the north and south walls. The bars are extended so that for cleaning, the board can be removed through the door after sliding it along the bars all the way to front of the door.
Under the poop board will be the entrance for the birds, led to by the ramp from ground. Under the floor is a 60 cm high run. The run should be netted on east and north side only as the other sides connect to the bigger, fenced run part.
Feeder and water should be either mounted on the door, or placed on the floor somewhere on the right half of the coop. Not decided yet.
And the west side should have a couple of windows or something, again, no details decided yet.
The roof is sloped from the middle, although it will be more difficult to build, it will give more balance plus the run-off water/snow will be divided.
That is it for now... after I am done with the coop design, I shall move on to the fence and door parts of the run. The idea is that the run is limited by a fence on its west side, and a fence and a door on its east side where I can get in to clean up etc. That door will be on the left side of the coop's nest basically and open outwards, so I will open that door, get in, open the coop door and get to work.
Height of the fence should be 182 (cause that is the longest board I can buy)
I wonder if that is tall enough to stop chicks... I have read about chicks flying pretty high when really motivated 😆

No comments:

Post a Comment