Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Lilac

5 years? Really?

Well, well, once again my complete newbness is showing. So, I decided to have lilacs in both front, side and back of the house, instead of current ugly useless bushes. Looking around a bit, unusually enough, I could not find the seeds or sapling for sale. At the same time I had shopped around for more interesting vegetables abroad and had ordered lots of seeds from U.S. (I was not sure how much of them would make it through customs but I hoped at least some of them would. Turned out they had to destroy almost half of them. The corn, melon and watermelons I was so hoping for all got thrown out by customs. At least I got the beets and cauliflower and the other stuff.)
That was a long parenthesis so lets get back to topic... Anyway, I started looking abroad for lilac seeds, as saplings cannot be imported cause they are in soil. And wow, I found a Chinese guy (cause he was in China) selling them and ordered right away. After a loooong wait the seeds came yesterday and I almost just planted them in nursery pots...but something made me feel I should check it online (Maybe I am learning after all my failures that not every plant needs to be treated the same way).
I checked online and it looks like just getting the seeds to germinate is pretty tough work. Apparently the seeds only germinate after a month or so of cold weather, so they need to live in the fridge before I can even expect anything to happen...
And after they actually do germinate, one should consider himself lucky to get flowers after 4 years or five.... Really?
Oh well, I guess I should get to work now so that I can grow them indoors during winter.
I have almost 100 seeds so I can experiment a bit with different methods I assume...

On another note, the weather report says this weekend will not be rainy so I have decided to build the coop this weekend. Right now I am making the material list.

No comments:

Post a Comment