Sunday, November 12, 2017

Cat prison

After the day is done
I was reminded again about the necessity of fencing in the property when Tora suddenly dashed out of the front door and started running around in the garden without his leash. I had just opened the door to go out and he usually just stands around asking to go out together but never dashes out.
I was lucky to be able to chase and catch him just before he managed to go into the neighbor's garden where he has seen other cats. My fear is that he may run away further onto the train tracks and road and other dangerous places.

So, I decided that now that my chicken coop project is finished, the next to start should be cat fence. It is getting cold and farm/woods/planting projects can wait a bit.

South side is first to become secured. I have bought 10 meters of metal netting to cover the bottom of the existing fence where currently a cat can easily crawl.
East side will be next. It consists of two parts divided by the house itself. One part is the backyard adjacent to the neighbor's. I have already told them that I will be fencing there. I bought a 2,7 meter metal post that I shall drive in the middle of the slope, and then cover the whole thing with net. Net between the post and the south fence. Net between the south fence and the balcony. Net over the shed. Lastly, very important, cover the tiny hole between the wall and the shed. As this all is very confusing in words, as usual I will try to show it in a drawing.
My latest masterpiece
OK, so the drawing is the backyard seen from the side. The house wall and balcony is on the left side (yellow), below the balcony is the shed (puke color), the ground and the slope is brown (or at least the closest I could get in a couple of seconds. Why is brown not one of the main default colors in painting software?), and the south side metal fence is on the right (black)
The post I aim to drive into the slope, along with wires/ropes to hold the net up is blue, and the netting itself is the pattern filling.
Anyway, that is the first part. The other part of the east side is at the entrance, where I just installed a gate. Now I have to secure the bottom part of the gate, and both sides of it, and basically connect it via a net or fence or sumpting to the long net I made in the beginning to cover the 37 meters on north-west side.
Then I should figure out what to do with that looong net, because I have a feeling that a cat can easily jump it if he really wants to.

No comments:

Post a Comment