Thursday, November 9, 2017

Chicken prison

hmm... just realized that the sun over the veggies is blocked by trees

I forgot to post a picture of the run after all the roof netting was done. So here it is now. The picture was taken 8:22 A.M. in autumn so the sun is still low. Around 10 A.M. I get full sun over the whole garden.

Big momma is laying 1 egg a day, and she has started to lay them in the nest so I don't have to go Easter egg hunting in the dark with a flashlight everyday after I come home. The time she lays eggs still varies though, from early morning to lunch time. And the eggs are still S size.

I have started giving them on a daily basis their usual chicken feed in combination with greens (weeds, overgrown salads from the veggie patch etc), bugs (mealworms and other living things I find around), and fruits (well fruit that has gone bad for us, but still good)

I also just started using my three big planters again. Good thing I didn't throw them away when we moved in. Since the chickens pooping and walking and picking in the run pretty much stops things from growing there, I will grow weeds and greens in the planters, and rotate in a planter every week into the run so they can feast on it.

Hopefully my mealworm farm will come around in a couple of months. And when it comes to fruits and scraps, I will ask the nearby supermarket if they can give away some of their produce section trash in weekends that I can use.

No comments:

Post a Comment