Monday, June 4, 2018

Life of bugs

Last weekend I opened the meal worm box to discover I had ran out of worms. The last couple had turned into pupa. At least I have many grown bugs now so they better multiply I thought and proceeded to remove old potato bits from the box. It was then that I realized that beneath the surface there were hundreds, maybe more tiny tiny baby worms. Hooray!!!
Wormplosion
Speaking of teeny tiny baby bugs, I keep seeing more and more of these all over the garden
Praying mantis baby on the sunflower leaf
I hope they all grow big and strong and start eating the bad bugs soon
Praying mantis baby on melon leaf. Just to the right of center of the picture.
Bad bugs...well we already got aphids but they are now getting fewer and fewer thanks to the growing population of lady bugs who love all the flowers I planted.
Ladybugs humping away on melon leaf
With my Kabocha, melons and cucumbers getting bigger, recently I have also been introduced to the brown pumpkin bugs who keep munching on the leafs.
Real pests who eat all good leafs and weaken the plant and delay crop
Luckily they are quite easy to scare, and with Tora patrolling the backyard all day when I am home, the bugs can't stay on the leafs for too long. Plus they discovered my plants after they were established so the plants are relatively strong, and hopefully can handle them. When I have time I go and catch a couple too. On average I maybe kill 5-10 a day, so there are not really many...
Gotcha your brown bastard. Squish.
Not all the bugs are bad though. Here is a busy bee pollinating my melons (Huh huh that sounds rather naughty)
Bee in the flower. Bzzz
 

No comments:

Post a Comment