Monday, June 25, 2018

Tiny Jungles

The wet season is upon us, and the weeds are growing like never before. It's almost like I didn't even remove any weeds to start with. Well next year I won't bother picking all the weed early on cause it will just be replaced. Hmm..
The blueberry bush is huge. Actually it is 2 bushes with a bit of space between them but it is tough to get in between them cause they are  so overgrown and weighted down by all the delicious berries. Looked closer and saw that some non-blueberry bushes also grow there. Identified the biggest one as ornamental flower and removed it cause those flowers are not really my type. They bloom late and are not that beautiful and don't smell good. Just take up space is what they do.

The yellow flowers in the middle are no more
With those gone, I can get in there and pull out lots of other annoying weeds too. Have to remember to prune the blueberries in the winter to make them more accessible. Maybe tie up a couple of branches and train them not to all lean in the same direction. As of now they all cover my patch of eggplants, which despite the shade keeps on growing.
The eggplants have just started blooming
Next to the eggplants I have my pepper patch which also is shadowed over by the blueberries. Still... they too seem to get enough sun somehow
Couple of pimans in the pepper jungle
Another jungle that is starting to get completely out of control is the cucumber. I get a good size cucumber every day these days though so I am not complaining. Keep pruning the lower leafs as soon as they turn yellow or start getting spotty and all is fine.
cucumber monster
I would love to also list the carrot jungle, but unfortunately they tend to die all the time. Some bug must really like those young carrot tops. It leaves all other young leafs alone, and chews up only the carrots' greens. So here is the carrot patch after two rounds of seeds. All gone to waste.
Hmm... the carrot jungle
Next to the carrots is the little patch with the huuuuge sunflowers.
Getting there.. I hope it gets big enough so I can eat the seeds
Another real jungle is the strawberry patch. I have made a mistake to have it real wide, to allow the runners to roam free. In doing so, I have made the middle parts inaccessible to myself. The patch is dominated by strawberries as they spread around, but underneath the weeds are lurking and if I don't pull them every once in a while I think they will take over easily. I should have started off with black mulch sheet. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Oh, and moles also have dug a couple of shallow tunnels there. Anyway, I have started to make a new patch of strawberries in the backyard's lowest step, using young runners from this patch. At the moment there is only 4-5 of them there but they will spread before winter I hope. Stupid enough I did not use black plastic mulch there neither. D'oh!
strawberry fields forever
Here is a picture of the backyard where the tiny strawberry leafs can be seen in the right corner of the lower step. Originally I was gonna have flowers there but what the heck I thought. There is enough flowers around anyway to attract good bugs.
Still haven't cleaned up the left side for the future runners
The melons are getting bigger but only 2 or 3 are getting to regular size so far. The leafs of the plants on top are all yellowing and dying so I am afraid this first round has been quite a let down. I think the soil was not ready. It was too much clay where the roots wanted to expand, and all the water kind of stayed in there and made the leafs yellow. That plus the brown bugs eating at the leafs, and hiding in the weeds above. Even if I dug quite deep where the seedlings were put and put compost, the soil around that hole was tough clay. The second level melons which were put there later and at first didn't seem to have a prayer have now grown into huge things. I did not prune or water them extra but just left them alone kind of. They seem healthier so we'll see from the end results. If the fruits are better then next round I will just leave the melons be on their own.
As for the soil, I will plant something else for a couple of years to make the soil softer and ready for melons.
The top row, which is full of weeds, I have started to clean. It is a big project. I dig real deep, remove ALL roots (most of the weeds there are the root/rhizome type) including the huge roots of the trees I cut down earlier. To keep the weeds at bay for a while, I will plant potatoes there first, once the soil has been cleaned. I have still not dug enough to see what actually separates the outside weed jungle and my side of the fence. I hope it is a tall concrete wall, but I don't think it is. I think it is just posts holding up the fence, buried deep....That is where the rhizomes of the weeds come in. I will use roundup to kill the weeds near the fence, on the outside. In best case I will cut and cover the soil on the other side.... Not decided yet. So far I have only dug like 30 cm wide and half a meter deep and cleaned the soil, so still there is a lot to go.
Enough of that. Let's change the subject.
After taking those pictures I came inside and found this little fellow crawling on my arm.
Baby terminator
I let him out to go eat some baddies and grow big. There are lots of baby praying mantis running around in my garden, a couple of different types and colors. The frogs have all vanished. I guess they tried running around too but were picked up by birds or maybe stomped on by me accidentally... even though they had a couple of nice hiding places near the pond, I found some of them in the wrong side of the garden, and returned them in my hand. But now there are none of them left. Just a pond with some insects and greens. Next to the pond there is a mikan tree, with three tiny fruit still hanging on there and getting bigger.
Can you see all the 3 mikans?
After my last complaints the corn must have heard cause now suddenly tiny corns are sprouting from the sides.
Children of the corn
Peanuts getting larger and larger...
Peanuts with a side of garlic and potatoes
And so do the tomatoes, but still no red ones.
Come on already, you look so delicious. Turn red soon.
By the way, I am trying to identify this unknown tree between the chicken run and the blueberry bush. Is it fruit? It takes a lot of space so I need to know. Hmm... here is what its leafs looks like
What am I?

2 comments:

  1. Could it be some kind of cherry? Looks pretty close to the pics I found on Google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey... Hmm, yeah when I tried a couple of plant recognition apps, they too said cherry. But it hasn't bloomed in the whole year so maybe it is too young still?
    I took a picture of the tree trunk too and upload in my new post

    ReplyDelete