Monday, June 4, 2018

Vegetable updates

Here is what things looked like last weekend.... starting with the tomatoes:
Getting big
I prune them but not too much and too often... and keep staking where I think may be needed in the future. The leafs are getting big and the flowers have started falling and in their place tiny tomatoes are popping out. A couple weeks more?
Asparagus field
I try to keep the weed out of the asparagus area, but probably the asparagus roots are handling that a bit too. It's just the first year so they are still tiny. I don't water them much, and when I pull out the weeds I do it very careful not to disturb the aspararoots. In the back of the picture you can see the pomegranate bush with three red flowers just opening.
Cucumbers, tomatoes and blueberry
More tomatoes are found in the middle of garden. If I remember well, I planted both normal size tomato and mini-tomato seeds so these are the other type from the ones on the previous picture. Which is which I am not sure yet though. I lost track cause I moved the seedling pots around a lot.
Next to them is the cucumbers which is getting bigger and bigger every day. I keep pruning lower stems and leafs that don't look healthy. To their right is the huge blueberry bush.Already full of berries but not ripe yet. My only worry is that the ants will probably get to them first... as usual. I hope they leave a few good ones for us.
Sunflowers
The sunflowers just reached my height. But still no flowers. A couple of them have developed buds but they have not opened yet. These I water every time I water the garden, which is on average every other day. I don't water everything every time. Cucumbers and such I try to give water all the time but asparagus I keep rather dry. When I water everything in the garden I use up around 60 liters of water from the tanks.
Peanuts and Co.
The peanuts just started flowering so I removed the plastic mulch and prepare to hill them. Near them there is also the rogue potato plant and three garlics...
Eggplants and peppers
The peppers are several varieties but I am not sure which is which... as usual I mixed the seedlings up. There is piman and paprika and some other crap. The eggplants are too many perhaps but I am not sure if they all will survive, plus it is kind of shady under the blueberry bush, and the soil not so deep (the roots will hit lawn after 20 cm maybe) so let's see what happens
Corn in the back, and string beans in front
The corn have been rather disappointing. Not sure what is wrong, but maybe the roots need deeper soil? I did everything similar to when I planted corn in share-hatake a couple years back. This corn is called Giant Russian something but they are far from giant. More like midget. And only leafs... despite being planted first among the veggies... Oh well. The string beans are climbing nicely up the trellis I made from the tip of the trees I cut down. I think it looks cool. Small white flowers have just started to show.
Very small cucumber. Zoom in, it's there on the mulch to the left
Above is the first cucumber that is developing. And below are the first developing kabocha and melon.
First kabocha
The kabocha plants (only 2 of them) have almost only been giving male flowers. The few couple female flowers don't open and just fall off after a few days. So I am glad I pollinated the only female flower so far manually.
First melon
The first melon is holy so I put it up on pedestal. I have never grown melon and everything that happens with them is just miraculous to me.
I am not sure what kind of trellis to use for them so I have made several different arrangements to see which one works best, for future reference. So it's a mish-mash of trellis techniques.
Some I even just leave without trellis to crawl. Let's compare the outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment