Monday, September 10, 2018

Tiny things getting bigger

There are a lot of small creepy crawlies in the garden who especially seem to like munching on young salad leafs. As soon as I plant seeds in a bed and the tiny leafs start showing up, the bugs are there chewing away and soon the future salads are no more.
So this time around I decided to not be so lazy and used a bed cover when planting my seeds. So far only one spot...
When the seedlings in the other spots are eaten up I will use covers there too
The culprits are mainly moth and butterfly larvae, tiny grasshoppers and small chinese grasshoppers. The moths and small butterflies are just too many to do anything about without spraying something. I am hoping that the long leg wasps eat those as promised by the internet... The bigger butterflies and moths I catch and kill when I see. Plus whenever I spot their eggs on leafs (I have become quite an expert on finding them) I squish them. As for the grasshoppers, the tiny ones I leave to the resident praying mantes. The bigger ones I catch and feed to the chickens.
grasshopper just before being eaten by chickens
Chinese grasshopper just before being eaten etc
So not only are the bugs getting bigger but gradually other small things in the garden are getting bigger. In the new asparagus bed things are popping up here and there.
Green spiky leafs. OK, still small but visible.
The leafs of the carrots, and the red spinach in the backyard are still not eaten up for some reason. Just lucky?
The carrots are lined up closest to the camera
Under the huge passion fruit mini tomatoes have finally started showing. Super sweet.
Can you spot the tomato?
Last but not least, just when I thought my frogs project had failed and all frogs had either ran away or been eaten, I found this little guy in the pond.
OK, the frog is sticking out from just under the white rock.
In the picture above, just left of the center, you can also see a big long leg wasp mid flight, going to drink water as usual. As long as they don't build a nest right where I have to walk, I am leaving them alone.
zoom in on the frog
And when I got closer, it jumped across the pond at sat in the water for the rest of the day.
I barely dared to let Tora go out that day fearing he would eat the frog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment