Sunday, May 12, 2019

Berry berry nice

The new peach tree (I suppose it's one of many types of peach anyway) in the backyard has a couple of fruits that keep getting bigger and juicier every day. And that motivates me to water it and fertilize it more.... it's a good loop.
Will this year's fruits already be edible?
I also spend a few minutes every day plucking poop-camouflage-butterfly-larvae which live on my citrus trees and kill them. I thought it was the job of bees and hornets but apparently not. By chance, one of those times I did see a long legged hornet that was busy building a nest in my yuzu tree. I was picking a larvae just a few centimeters from it but it didn't notice me, fortunately. I saw it first, and backed away slowly. It had already made a 3 cm big nest... a few minutes later it flew off to get water or rest or something, and I saw my chance and picked the nest off the tree and destroyed it. Phew. But I guess there will be more attempts cause those hornets keep buzzing around that specific area.
Other than that, I have been lucky enough to eat some of the sweetest strawberries every morning picked from my garden. Hope the ants don't start feasting on them like they did last year.
Corner of backyard strawberry bed
Main garden strawberry bed, along with all its weeds
They are super sweet. I don't know what I did right though...
In the forest, I just spend time doing the sorting, and also opened up an area in the middle of the plot where it seems safest to make a big fire, in preparation for burning the bamboos.
I should maybe make it even wider
The current activities in the forest are fun because I get to choose between many tasks, and won't get bored doing just one thing. On the other hand, all of those tasks involve bamboos which I hate more and more, so there's a downside. I gather branches a couple of hours, kick new shoots, cut down bamboos in the north side, sort out and move bamboos in the plot based on their size, etc etc. So the plot gets nicer gradually..
Mountain of branches I gathered, ready to burn
.

No comments:

Post a Comment