Monday, August 26, 2019

Summer Sweet

It's good to know at least one or two good fruits come out of my garden each year...
Egg next to it for size comparison
I waited and waited until all signs of ripeness where there. The color of the pale part was just perfect, the little twig thingie next to the water melon was all dried out and dead, and the sound when I tapped it just right. And then I removed the Mickey Mouse net that was protecting it, noticing that it had grown a lot in size since I covered it, cause it barely came off... and then with ease picked the fruit. Water splashed from the branch it was attached to.
It felt nice and heavy, thanks to the constant recent rain...
Yummmy
The whole water melon was extremely juicy and I couldn't eat it without spilling a lot. As for taste, it was extremely sweet and good in the middle, maybe equal to the size of a couple apples, ok sweet the rest of the way where it was red, and no taste where the red color was thin. Unfortunately the not red part to the shell was pretty thick.
It had also lots of tiny seeds. But no big deal.
The next day I was coming back from feeding the chickens when I noticed the other big melon had cracked open, I guess because it had grown too fast. The net had still protected it from most of the bugs but maybe a handful had found their way in and were feasting on the goodness.
I gave that whole fruit to the chickens. They had a blast. It was a very hot and sunny day and they enjoyed the cool and juicy water melon a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment