Monday, August 5, 2019

Watermeloncoli

The watermelon flowers got pollinated and the nearest bed to the house is full of green, big leafs with that typical shape.
Just had sex
Still very tiny. Compare with the ant to its upper right
While taking the pictures above, saw one that had been growing in hiding...
Taking shape..
And just a couple of days later, it looks like this
Mini mini water melon
Here is the whole bed
And there is another tiny water melon 
There are a couple of mini tomatoes also growing in the same bed... not that I planted them there but after last year they just pop up every where like weeds.
Really looking forward to seeing how far the water melons get. But there is this worrying thought in the back of my head... Before I had a chance to harvest, the first big tomatoes as well as almost all the corns were eaten up by the civet who seems to see my garden as its own buffet by now. As you remember it started by eating the eggs, and attacked one my my hens and almost killed her. Now that I keep those locked up, it has started eating fruit and veggies. It did have its fun with my strawberries too. I can only see how it eats the watermelon too just before they are ready to pick.
The fencing and netting can hold most animals away but the civet seems to not get the point, and is doing real damage now.
The first tomato that is not stolen yet
So now I got myself a trap and put it in the backyard. Hoping to catch the thief/murderer...
It's the biggest one I could get. 1 meter long.
I put a banana, a tomato and an egg in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment