Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Passion falling

The passion fruits are falling off one by one all by themselves. They are still very green when they fall. I looked it up and I am supposed to let them ripen after they drop.
The fruits are very fragrant and the longer I wait the stronger the perfume. The cats are extremely interested too. Not sure if it is because they think these are balls or toys, or if it is the smell. But they are there all the time when I am not looking and playing around with the fruits. Dropping them to the floor and rolling around with them and biting them, although they have maybe fifty better toys.
So I put the fruits in a net and hanged them in the kitchen. That way they are still out and can dry/ripen/whatever with air flowing around them and not too humid so they mold. Hopefully it is somewhat cat proof too.
Only after less than 2 days, the fruits started turning a nicer color.
Slowly turning from green to red, like a traffic light
The last one fell off the branch 4 days after the other 2. Here is what they looked together, almost 5 days after the first two dropped. The two old ones are deeper red, and the new one can show the color progress in such short time. Still the skins are smooth so now I have to just wait until they start wrinkling.
This year's harvest
It is only the first year. I heard from my colleague that from second year onward when the tree becomes bigger it yields much more fruit. I just need to protect it from the frost so it doesn't die like the one last winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment