Monday, September 30, 2019

3 down, 20 something to go

When I bought my chainsaw it came with a bit of gas in it already. There was a note attached from the company saying they had to test that it actually started the first time, so that is why. After I chopped up the fallen tree on Mr.O's land, there still was some gas remaining, so I though to myself, let's cut down some trees and see how hard it is.
It's not big, but it does the job
In my "bamboo" plot I think there are 25 or so sugi trees. I intend to cut them all down except for one which is right at the road nearby. It is useful as a marker to show where my plot is. If I cut them all down, there is a risk that cars gradually start driving more and more into my plot.
Before
Some of the 25 are small so I decided to start with those and work my way up. That way, I would get a bit of practice before getting to the real big ones. The two smallest ones could easily be cut down, just by noticing how the leaned and stand behind it and saw. One of them had rot in its core, more than half its total width so it was pretty hollow. Interesting to see how rot felt to the saw and also a bit how it affects cutting it down. The third one I cut was a little bigger so I cut it like a real tree, by first cutting a triangle out into it where it is supposed to fall, and then cut from the other side.
I didn't really need a wedge yet because it was still pretty small in comparison. After I chopped those 3 up, I ran out of gas.
So next time, after I have burned most of the bamboo and the plot is clear to felling trees on it, I will buy gas, and wedge, to start cutting the rest of the trees down.
After. Can you see which ones I cut?

No comments:

Post a Comment