Monday, December 2, 2019

Re-planning just a little bit

I've been cleaning the forest little by little, and thinking how to proceed...so here is a summary of what I have decided so far.
The plot as it looked in middle of November
The north part is getting a bit messy, cause I have moved everything that needed postponing over along that border. There is lots of bamboo branches that I put there from the middle of the plot, then there are 2-3 neat stacks of bamboo, and behind those we got more bamboo which I originally put there to use as separator/wall.
With the branches and the stacks, it is easy to misunderstand where my plot begins cause the slope which marks the border is now hidden beneath/behind all the stuff. So I decided I should clear all that, and put it all somewhere more appropriate.
The branches should go all the way around the plot's borders, and the stacks of bamboo of course should be burned. But while they are waiting their turn to be burned, they should be moved a little more to the middle.
I went over to the owner of the north grove, who is an extremely old guy who mumbled and swallowed every other word when he talked. I explained the situation for him and asked him permission to cut down bamboo that looks like it will fall over onto my land, and he said OK. But he wanted to know how far in I will be cutting, and I said 10 meters (cause the bamboo are 10 meters tall, so to be safe from falling bamboo I should clear 10 meters in) which scared him, so he said no, 10 meters is too much as his land is 10 meters deep, and I should cut only bamboo that threatens to fall. Hmm, his land is at least 40 meters deep on the map so I am not sure if it is the Alzheimer talking...
There is actually a 2 meter wide strip between my land and his land which is public land, so I guess 10 meters measured from my land would mean 8 meters into his land, so I will not be cutting 10 meters, which should keep him happy. I told him that he can check the progress and let me know if it is not to his liking. I think I am being very nice to offer to clear out his messy land, which he clearly doesn't have the energy to do. He said he doesn't want to sell the land by the way, he he.
fallen bamboo reaches middle of my land
I started to fell a few bamboos on the edge, and as they fell I could see that they reached a couple of meters past where the barrel is now. So yeah, I will need to cut that far in.
There is another reason I need to tidy up the north part of my land. As it is now, I can almost not enter the old guy's land as I am blocked by everything I put there. I can kind of climb into his land from the sides, but those paths are extra messy and difficult to get through.
Just an example of how messy his grove is
I'd rather just walk up from the middle cause I have cut away a little there already and cleared a kind of path.
View of my land from inside the grove
Once I move away all the stuff from there, I should only have a tiny bit of wall to climb to get into the grove, and can cut all the bamboo there and put it neatly among the rest of the mess inside the grove.
The wall/fence I made originally
The fence I made before is actually pretty tidy. Too bad it is hidden behind all the crap I put there.
Anyway, that is what I will be doing in the weeks to come. Eventually when I run out of bamboo to cut I shall move to cutting sugis and later to digging the ground.
The plot, beginning of December
I have not burned anything in a long while because I am waiting for a good mask/filter to wear to protect me from the smoke and particles. The surgery mask I wore before so far blocked nothing so I got a bad cough for a couple of weeks.
As bonus, here are a couple of pictures showing how new life is breaking down the old fallen sugi trees and branches.
Sugi stump
The sugi stump had all sorts of mushrooms and moss and stuff growing out of it, and just turned to mush when I kicked it lightly. Good job nature.
Sugi branch
There is this kind of weed that grows on the surface of the fallen sugi branches. It has very shallow roots running along the surface, and the leafs are pretty long. 


No comments:

Post a Comment