Sunday, May 28, 2017

House visit (exterior)

picture of house taken from inside the bordering "garden" plot which is sold with it
Stepping out, there are a lot that I wanted done, so I wanted to get estimates for all that and see which parts I can try to do myself.
But before telling the agent and the reform guy anything, they had 2 remarks which they took first.
1- The roof of the house is not sparkling new and looks just like all the other houses in the neighborhood. The reform guy offered to give me an estimate for cleaning it up and also for covering it with some material. I want to eventually get solar panels and water heater, so not sure what I will do with the roof for now.
Fake bricks, south side

2- The siding is your usual plastic fake brick nailed to the house, with rubber/gummy isolating material covering/filling along the joints. It's the common cheapest solution in Japan. It is just normal dirty, and could do with a nice hosing down. But on the south side, thanks to all the direct sunlight in 14 years, the soft gummy material has hardened and started to crack. In some spots the water proofing isolating sheet beneath is starting to show so I guess if something needs immediate attention this would be it. The reform guy started talking about various ways to fix it, from just cleaning the exterior and refilling the gummy bits, to more expensive total replacements with fancy options and various durability. I asked him to give me some estimates. Personally I am not a big fan of the plastic fake siding at all, so if I had the money I would replace it all with either wood, brick or marble...

Apart from these, what I want to do (which is a lot, so I am not going to list it all here, there are lots of DIY projects going in my head right now, like making a Japanese style garden with bonsai trees and koi in the backyard, and making a chicken coop in the far end of the garden etc) is this:
1- Fencing in the whole property. This is to be able to let the cats out without them running away or intruding in neighbor's house.
2- Putting in a wall between the house and the garden. The garden plot is actually 1-2 meters above the house plot, and the change in height is not gradual. It just goes up. There is a concrete brick wall there to keep the earth/dirt from the garden from falling into the pathway around the house. But it is just not tall enough, so dirt keeps spilling over. I want it to be a bit higher for safety and also as a margin.
East side fence between our and neighbor's house

When it comes to fencing, it is going to be a big project. The reform guy also started scratching his head when I asked him for an estimate. So I guess I have to do most of it myself. The property is already more or less fenced, except on the west side (between the garden and the neighboring woods. luckily there is no building there yet. There are some trees and some vegetable plots, and the rest is covered with grass and wild) which is a 32 meter straight line. After that, on the north it turns into the car port which has a fence and a wall tall enough. On the south, there is a fence over 2 meters high covering the whole property.
"The hilly bit" on the south. The unfenced part is seen on top left.
On the east side, there is already fence almost all the way (except for the hilly bit), but it is not tall enough for keeping the cats in. I guess I need to talk to the neighbor and get their permission to replace/extend the height. Plus I have to put in a fence on the hilly bit.

On the west, there is also one open/unfenced bit, after the carport, where the cars enter/exit. I would need a proper gate there.
So this will be my first big project. Until this is finished, the cats will have to get accustomed to the interior of the house, which is plenty spacious.

A part of the wall
For the walls, the reform guy will give me some estimates and I will decide if I will do it myself or ask him or someone else to build.
The line between the house plot and the garden plot

No comments:

Post a Comment