Sunday, September 24, 2017

Almost chicken ready

The coop is almost ready
This weekend I hurried up and almost finished the coop. I even had time to put on primer and 1 layer of paint. What remains before the ladies can move in is:
  • the tiny window frame on the side (right now it is just a square hole and nothing guarding it)
  • patching a few tiny holes here and there (thanks to my expert carpentry not every angle is right)
  • lock/handle for the door (lock in case the chickens are strong or smart enough to open it, handle because it would look nice)
  • storm door/cover for the entrance (I will have the door open always but when it is raining real hard or typhoon, I shall close it)
  • rope securing the whole thing to the ground (in case of typhoon)
  • second layer of paint (and also painting details)
  • additional layer of hard plastic on top of the roof to make it rain proof
  • poop board and maybe additional flooring
  • waterer and feeder (not yet sure what design to use...)
  • the exterior fencing and entrance for me (one fence at the back of the run, and one in the front. To stop chickens from running out and cats, mine, neighbor's and strays, from getting in)
I think I can manage to do almost all of this in one weekend. If I do, then I can buy chickens the weekend after. 

In other news, the cats are still enjoying their sunny days indoors. The fencing in project of the property is still ongoing. Next week I will get my entrance gate which is an important part, then I can lead netting/fence to it and the cats can go out.
Tora in front and Chubby in the back. Together they are The Tora Chubby Gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment