Sunday, September 10, 2017

CooProgress

Weekend was mostly spent rethinking the coop and doing adjustments... at the same time, the house was wrapped in, and the painters worked away.
Roof is already changed to orange. In the foreground, my coop work area
In the picture you can also see, just in front of the tunnel where I planted strawberries, the third bed with a plank next to it. There I planted ice plant, 2 kinds of cauliflower, red spinach, sweet beets and Brussels sprouts. All are supposed to be more or less autumn/winter stuff. Lets see what comes out.
All the while, as I was outside I got more and more groggy. Not because of the summer heat making a come back (It was terribly hot actually), but for the repeated times I kept bumping my head into the scaffolding just where I enter the garden.
My enemy number one, and number two is right behind it
 There are two low level platforms which I must pass by ducking under them. Except I don't every time for some reason. I think I bumped my head really hard on these at least 8 times. Usually I duck, stay down while walking under them and carefully emerge after the second one is passed. But there are times when I am thinking about something else while wearing a cap or a large garden hat which completely obscures the platform right in front of me, and walk right into the platform with my head BAM! front of my skull. Other times I do duck under the first one, but emerge too soon or too hard and bump top of my head SMASH! into the either one. Other times I emerge too fast after the second platform and BOOM! back of my skull. So by Sunday my head was hurting bad, I was feeling real dizzy almost ready to pass out. So I took it relatively easy in the garden. Hope I didn't cause some permanent damage to my head...
The coop, so far
As for the coop, after finishing the frame and taking a tour to the home center to buy wall and roof materials, I realized the coop is about 10 cm too long for even the biggest plywood I can use for roofing... So I came up with the idea to put L-shaped metal holders under the roof. Each of these is supposed to hold up 12 kg. For each half of the roof I will have 4 of these, plus the wooden bar which goes across the length on each side. Together they should be carrying the 11 kg half roof plywood.
Or maybe I will come up with a better idea till next weekend, like adding a couple more bars instead of the L-shape supports. Anything can happen.
In the meantime, I made and installed the nest box, and also started with the netting underneath the coop. I have to say it is all coming together pretty nicely. The painting foreman noticed it and said if any paint was left over he would give it to me to use for the coop. So at least I won't have to worry about painting.
Next weekend is a 3 days holiday, so it should give me extra time to handle the coop. Who knows, maybe I get to finish it. I am thinking 1 day for finishing the interior (window frame, roost holders etc)  and the roof support, 1 day for the walls and the roof and 1 day for painting, the door and window...
It will probably not be enough time.


No comments:

Post a Comment