Sunday, September 3, 2017

Start painting

I didn't go for the painting company who gave us estimates when we moved in. Partly because the price was too high but also I was not really happy about the way they kept trying to push expensive unnecessary stuff to me and pretending they are doing all they can to keep things cheap. Instead I found a much cheaper company who seems so far to be more straight forward. The painters came and set up scaffold around the house. In preparation, I had cleared out everything from around the outer walls. By the way, in the picture here you can see the rosemary flowers I planted. 
My poor water tank. So sad and dirty
The first thing the workers did was to wash the house, which took the whole day. The black liquid from the washing rained down and got stuck on everything that was near the scaffolds, including plants. But I think they will survive.
Saturday was rainy so I didn't get much coop building done. Took down the tarp covering the coop frame on sunny Sunday and continued, connected the top part which will carry the roof but as for the roof itself only got to building the roof triangles. So now I have a cube shaped frame without roof protected by a big tarp, and a whole week of rain to come according to the weather forecast. Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be sunny again though.
Next week the first thing I need to do is to align the frame's different parts with L shaped metal brackets (There is a bit of discrepancy between the different corners resulting in a 1-2 cm gap in length between the two long sides) so that I can mount the roof correctly. The reason of course, as I mentioned before, is that all the boards I bought are more or less bent or twisted, even if with 1mm. Add them all together in a structure and it quickly becomes unstable.
Anyway, I had plenty other things to do.
There is an out-of-reach ca 20 m cable (used before for ground TV signal but not anymore) pulled from the telephone pole at the front door and screwed along the outer walls of the house all the way around and into the kitchen on the other side. It has annoyed me the whole time. Also, there are a couple of wood bits screwed to the outer walls which I wanted to remove but could not reach.
Now I took the opportunity of the unsupervised scaffold, and climbed up on it and around the house and unscrewed the cable and the two pieces of wood. the cable was now hanging from the telephone pole, ready to be disconnected. However, the scaffolding stopped right at the point where I needed to climb in order to reach the pole. I did remember though that the workers had left 1 piece of footing (I guess it either was left over, or they kept it there just in case), so I went down, took it all the way up to 3rd level (it was pretty heavy) and installed it where I needed it. It was first time ever for me. Then I went around, climbed the scaffold and onto the footing I had just put in place and voila! I could remove the cable once and for all. Then I went down, removed the footing and put it back where I had found it.
The strawberries arrived too, so I planted them under a tunnel (If I leave anything ripe out for a couple of days without harvesting it, the bugs eat it all. That happened to my mini salads that I forgot to pick last week. Also one of my passion fruits keeps having its leaves and flowers eaten by the hungry bugs. I think it is the green locusts.) to protect them from being eaten.
I also prepared and dunged and mulched another stripe of land to plant fall stuff like beets and cauliflower. I also want to put down garlic and potatoes.
Coop under blue tarp in background

So right now the garden looks like the picture here. Oh yeah, and I bought a compost bin too. The city office paid 2/3 of it so I could not resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment