Monday, May 21, 2018

Worms and larvae

The mulberry is exploding all of a sudden
I can already pick a handful of ripe mulberries everyday. They are sweet and tasty. The other day though I found lots of very tiny poop on the leafs. Looking under the leafs I found A LOT of hairy larvae eating away...
Just one leaf
I removed all the leafs that were eaten, and killed all the larvae. A week later the tree is doing better than ever. Now that the tree is small I can get rid of the bugs fairly easily. When the tree gets too big, I guess I just let the bugs have their share.
Apropos of nothing, the kabocha and melons in the backyard have started getting really big and crawling all over the place. The second row melons are exception though... they look like they would die any day. And to thing they were all planted from seed the same day.
BIG leafs
I was weeding in the backyard and found this huge larvae, which just like any other uninvited guest became a tasty treat for the chickens.
yuck!
I also found this teeny tiny earthworm which I relocated to the compost.
The smallest baby worm I ever saw

No comments:

Post a Comment