Thursday, August 23, 2018

Less paths, more soil

Spent a few hours (it was a very hot day as usual so I had to escape inside and rest in between) getting rid of the roundabout in the garden.
The roundabout, before
I don't remember how that shape came to be. But it serves no purpose really. Plus the mulberry tree looks out of bounds with the path/roundabout under its branches. In the foreground of the picture the peanuts can be seen. Now those are out of bounds if anything. I had no idea four measly peanuts could go crazy and expand that much. But not sure how much actual peanuts I will get. I sneaked a peek under and the peanuts have just started to form, but look real small. Like 2 mm narrow peanuts at the end of the tubes.
Another thing that went completely berserk beyond expectations are the passion fruits. Not that they gave any flowers, but just like the magic beans in the story they climbed up all the way to the giant's house (my balcony). Hope they survive the winter. If they do I will arrange a better taller net for them to climb and shade the house. I even caught the little Jack climbing up the magic beanstalk the other day.
more like Jack the ripper hunting bugs
But I digress... back to the roundabout.
First I cleared off the garden stones, revealing the tarp
Cut away the tarp and the protective sheet below it to shape the new path
Put back the planks. New soil is ready to dig.
The triangle shape soil had to be dug. To get rid of the lawn remaining under it, and also to dig out the bamboo rhizomes that infest my garden. In that little piece of land I dug up more than 5 meters of roots. Another sweaty day was done. Just to put back the stones and shape the path, and voila!
One adjustment done. A little bit simpler already
To celebrate, I barbecued some chicken livers and hearts. Not my own chickens' of course.
Yumm yumm

No comments:

Post a Comment