Thursday, August 30, 2018

Hang in there, baby

I am not doing much pruning, staking or watering so the garden vegetables are kind of growing on their own. Despite this I am still getting eggplants, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. No wonder almost all Japanese plant these whenever they get the chance. Cause they are easy I suppose.
So, because of the continuing harvest, I am not clearing any of the existing beds out to plant autumn veggies yet. Instead I will do the much postponed clearing of the wilderness at the north side of the garden, and make beds there...
Me in my dirty gardening spaceman gear 
The north side, before. Let's see what it becomes.
Actually I kinda sneak started on the north side. After a couple of hours digging out roots it looks like above picture. You can see the cleared bit on the right side. And all the roots and weeds so far are dumped in the green bin.
So, back to the main subject of "hanging in there"...
Finally the passion fruit reached the balcony railing. Hang in there baby.
Big eggplant not tied to a trellis or anything but doing fine. Hang in there baby.
Well last night I made a nice chicken stew in lemon and tomato sauce with the eggplant in the picture, so that baby ain't hanging no more. He he.
Cucumber second generation coming back. Hang in there baby.
If you look closely you see a bee pollinating the flower, as well as one or two cucumbers. The whole cucumber bed kind of exploded and I got at least one big cucumber a day for a while, then it all stopped and receded and I thought that was it, and it was dying. I just kept removing dead leafs and putting them in the compost bin. then suddenly the plants regained life and turned green and started climbing the nets again. And looks like I will be getting another set of cucumbers.
Oh, talking about bees... I still encountered one or two long-leg wasps near the ajisai at the entrance, so I decided to get rid of the plant. The genius previous owner had planted it right next to the house base so you can imagine where the root went.
I cut off the branches, and pulled out the roots. One less problem.
Thanks so much, genius for planting so near the house.
Anyway, now it looks nice and clear. And the wasps lost interest too. Hooray.
Ajisai/Off

No comments:

Post a Comment