Monday, March 15, 2021

Setoka in

First mikans to arrive were the setoka. Luckily the day they arrived was a nice and sunny day, with rain being forecasted 2 days later.

They came with the usual instructions

Also these tags with serial number and warnings

I tried to take a screen shot of the instructions but was not very successful to begin with.
Herro Engrish Googre

This is the least unsuccessful one

Anyway... I took with me cow manure, pig manure and some chemical fertilizer that I mixed together into the soil where I planted the saplings, and watered a lot after I was done.
Here is the result

Same thing viewed from the other end

After a couple days, just as promised, we had a whole day of pretty heavy to normal rain. I was quite worried how the newbies would fare... so in the weekend when the weather was sunny again I went and had a look. Oh, and I also brought with me 20 more tatami mats that I managed to get from the local tatami shop for free.
With these I will make the 3rd row

Not sure if they are hurt or not, but knowing that I made their beds soft and fluffy and that the water should run through it easily without stopping, I assume they should have a chance.
The green cover in the beds is coming along nicely

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! Good luck with the sea berry. I had one male and one female in my garden, but the female died after a couple of years, and the berries it did produce were tiny, hard to harvest because of thorns, and terrible tasting! I hope you have a better experience.

    I agree that comfrey can be pretty invasive. I grew about six plants from seed a few years ago and now it's everywhere in my yard (which I don't mind).

    Did you get normal gumi or 'bikkuri' gumi? I have a few normal ones and one bikkuri, which I prefer because the fruit is bigger. Here's to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Casey!
    Mine are natsu gumi so I guess they are the normal ones.
    Both gumi and the seaberries I got for their nitrogen fixing and see them therefore more as tools than berries, so I don't mind if they're not tasty or easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete