Thursday, December 21, 2017

Cat barricade

Continuing the fence... I have stacked up some of the wood trash and branches I had lying around and filled in the spot where the net is really short.
I think the cats don't generally like challenging really dense shrubbery (Ni!), and also they dislike strong smell of menthol. There is a big minty bush (not sure what it is... its leaves are spiky and thick and it smells strongly like mint) covering half of that area, so I focused my wooden blockage in the other half, with all the branches pointing inwards.
The mint thingie has lotsa small blue flowers
I am not finished yet. There is a lot more wood and branches but the idea is that when the cat approaches this part of the fence, since the net is too low, it should be hindered from jumping over it or crawling near it thanks to this pointy, smelly barrier.
And to be real sure, I also ordered a tracking device for Tora to wear (Chubby is too chicken to jump high or go on adventures), so if Tora against all these measures manages to get out I should still find him, hopefully alive.
A bit closer. I shall also put something on the wall so kitties can not walk there...
Speaking of walls, I am seriously considering putting block retaining walls in the backyard slope. It is 5 meters long and more than 3 meters wide. But the drop is 1,6 meters, so for example for making 3 levels, I would need 2 walls of 80 cm each.
3 levels would be nice since blocks are thick and having more walls would be waste of space. Upper level would be support for the tree roots and stuff, just wide enough to walk on comfortably. Then a 80 cm drop with wall to a level surface of 160 cm width, and then another 80 cm drop to a level surface of 90 cm width. Of course these 80 cm walls would block the sun a lot I guess...
Anyway, still just thinking. But more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment