Sunday, December 10, 2017

Jack Frost

As usual whenever weekend comes it comes with its special shitty weather. Normal days when I have to go to office are sunny and great, but when I can go out in the garden the sun goes to office I guess.
The first frost was of course on Saturday, and it was deep.
Not so bad, from far away
Fortunately the chicken coop was warm and cozy and their water had not frozen. But outside the water can was covered with a thick layer of ice so I had to wait before washing the chickens' poop board.
The poop cleansing station is temporarily off
All the veggies not covered with net were on the verge of death, so I learned a good lesson. Not only does the netting protect against bugs, but also against cold. I will be using netting as much as I can from now on.
Compare strawberries inside the net and its frozen runner outside of the net
The beans are a bit tougher I assume. They somehow seemed fine, but I am not gonna celebrate yet. I haven't seen any big growth yet.
green beans
broad beans and green beans in the backyard. Frost melted quickly here
Most of the tree saplings have gone to sleep. Hard to spot where they are without their leafs...
Spot the leafless trees
Now I can see the fig tree actually had woody parts
It is hard to not step on a sapling by accident so I decided to declare that whole area a no-go zone until spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment