Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Fencetory

The backyard fence is finished.
No pussies beyond this point!
I will now take this opportunity to blab about the backyard using this beautiful picture. Backyard is still work in progress of course, but now at least the cats can roam there without problem. Note that I have covered the hole next to the shed with red bricks, and wire net behind it just for good measure. I also blocked the gap under the shed with various things (...)
The neighbor's cats spend most of their time on the other side of the fence and knowing my cats will be bothered by their mere presence, I placed a long strip of anti-cat mat with spikes on the other side of the fence, so that the neighbor's cat do not linger in the immediate area next to the fence. The fence is placed about 50 cm within my border so the cat spikes are still on my property. On the inside of the fence, I put brown plastic low fence for three reasons. They are decorative, they keep the bottom part of the green net anchored to the ground and they will be in the way of my cats jumping and biting into the net, should they spot the neighbor cat and start to fight. Anyway, I have to see how things develop and make further adjustments.
In front of the shed, there is the huge ajisai bush, and the two small yuzu trees (after taking the picture I actually pruned them good). Between the yuzu and the wall is the small jasmine bush which is now eagerly expanding. I am also hoping to add lilac to that spot. Then a little further to the right along the wall we have a bunch of tiles which I will be removing and using that spot to plant something. That area is very sunny and it actually gets double sun from the reflection in the building's doors and windows on the left of the picture. So it is a shame not to use it all. Too bad the upper part is so slopy. Outside of the picture, further to the right, is a spot which I already cleared out and planted green beans and broad beans. You can spot the top of the trellis. The whole place is full of ants so I was really surprised to find aphids gathering on the bean leafs. I want to keep the path to the shed, but have to do something about the current tiles. Either remove them, replace them or fix them. For one, they are loose and it feels weird walking on them. For the other, they are uneven and every time it rains lots and lots of water gathers in the sunken parts instead of running out.
The upper part I have to clean up, make levels of and secure. I have become quite good at mixing mortar and concrete so maybe I could challenge making some real walls there. Problem is I am not sure how to put the rebar in there to reinforce the walls. That whole area has some potentials so once I feel up to it I will get my hands dirty.
But for now, my next task is to complete the cat garden fencing. The last part remaining is the front gate.
Taken from inside. gate to carport in front, slopy strip on the left and house entrance on the right
There are three parts to this. Easiest part is the gate itself. under the gate there is a gap that cats can crawl through, so I need to attach wire netting underneath the gate doors. When opening and closing the doors, the netting should sweep against the concrete.
Second part is the straight opening on the right where to mailbox is. My plan is to have netting there, which requires a metal post placed on the most right. Third part is the left side, a combination of wall, slope and what not. I am not 100% sure but probably using some wires and anchoring to the carport and the gate I will manage to insert netting there too. I save that for last.
However, when I approached the second part with metal rod in hand ready to insert I realized that the ground is shallow (about 25 cm) and bottoms in the concrete skirt of the house which I will not penetrate. (Huh huh, penetrate the skirt)
hole leading to skirt
So instead I got me a steel post base, widened the hole and dug out the ground all the way to the skirt, placed the base flat on the skirt and inserted the pole in the post base, and poured concrete into the whole thing
Now I have a post to attach the net to
By the weekend it should have set, and then I can start connecting net and stuff. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment