Tuesday, December 19, 2017

I wanna have chicken tonight, chicken tonight, chicken tonight ♪

The chicks are getting bigger every day. Still Big Momma is the only one laying eggs, but she is no longer the biggest. I guess either the others have better genes, or I am doing something right and those who grew up in my care grow better. Big Momma was already grown when I got her. Perhaps this semi-free-range thing is good for them.
Can you tell which of the white ones is Big Momma?
Big Momma is still the one on top of the picking order. Sometimes I feel bad for the smaller ones who she bullies to get her food first... but maybe that will change when they grow bigger. Fortunately I give them all enough food so that even the lowest one can get her fill.
They sure start to look yummy, don't they?
They are pretty cute. They only recognize me based on the color of my clothes it seems. I usually wear my orange coat when I go out to them to feed them, so they know that the orange guy is the friendly one. They don't run away or panic. In fact they some running to see what interesting goodies I may have for them this time.
Sometimes though, I wear my black coat and those times they are very wary, huddle together when I approach and one sudden move from me sends them flapping and running behind the coop to hide. I still cannot pick them up and hold them. When I lure one to stand still and then pick her up by cupping my hands underneath, very gently, still as soon as she gets a chance she jumps off.
The only time I can pet them without problem is when I go to close the coop door. At that time they have all lined up on the roost and are half asleep, so I just slowly pet the closest one, without facing any protest. During the day, if I bring them weeds and sit with my legs straight they sometimes jump on them to reach the weeds in my hand.
But all in all I think they are still not fully domesticated, as I only see them very little, and only during weekends basically, except for feeding time every morning and closing time every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment