Sunday, February 18, 2018

Digging in the dirt

A Sunday morning later, the digging has proceeded a bit further.
Leveling the field
What takes time is removing the roots from the soil. The mini bamboo roots are easy enough as they are big and just tugging at them gives me a whole length. But the lawn roots covering the whole top soil are mush worse. They are interconnected but tiny and if I pull too hard most of it just remains in the dirt.
I got lots of seeds and hopefully will be able to plant them soon. I got japanese pumpkin, 3 types of tomato, yellow paprika, eggplant, asparagus, corn and sunflower. I also have left lots of seeds from before.
Here is an overview of the garden
From window of second floor
I want to even the whole field first, except for maybe around the saplings and the trees. Plant kabocha and berry bushes on the slope to the right of the bush just visible on right side of the picture. Still not sure if I should keep that bush or not. It had some nice flowers last year I think. But I will cut down all the mini bamboo that shoots out anywhere.
Then I will remove the tiles from the backyard, and also from the path leading around the house, and use them to make paths and borders in the garden between the beds. No more slipping around or risk falling...
As for the backyard, I want to allow the thick grass expand a bit further, maybe half a meter, as it does a good job of not allowing the weeds through, and it is pretty and feels nice to touch. And as for the path around the house, I will cover it with marble stones.
Generally I will plant small salad leafs all over, especially between the saplings I suppose. Not sure what kind of things can be grown there... maybe I will let the strawberries spread. As for beds, I will have one long bed going along the fence (on top right of the picture, behind the tree and the compost bins), one bed in front of the strawberries, and so on... with paths between them. Actually it is hard to imagine before I have done the leveling. But something like this I suppose.
Sapling area to left. Blueberries are purple, compost is green
Even in this picture there seems so be problem getting through past the cherry saplings. I dunno.
I have to also think about leading water from the high point where the chickens are to the right places between the beds.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I stumbled across your blog recently and have been enjoying reading about your garden and chicken adventures. I'm living a semi-parallel life over in Ishikawa Prefecture, with a young forest garden that I started a few years ago and chickens that I've been keeping since last spring. I've got a blog about my garden here, if you're interested: www.thesoybean.wordpress.com Keep up the prolific blog posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Casey.
      Wow, your garden looks fabulous and makes me realize I am way way behind.
      I wonder how do you handle the sound of roosters crowing in the morning in your neighborhood?
      I really want to keep a rooster but they are so loud...

      Delete
    2. I don't have any roosters, just hens. You're only a couple years behind me -- small trees and shrubs grow pretty quickly, so a year or two makes a big difference. And I'm probably going to be set back with a lot of severely broken plants after this winter...

      Delete