Monday, March 9, 2020

Digging Day Dos

For second day I was going to be more serious. It was cloudy and windy so just playing around would not be as interesting neither anyway.
Starting to seriously dig out roots
I began systematically to dig a trench along the north side, and cut off and out any roots there. Then I went on and moved south, digging strip by strip. The roots I dug out I just left there so I could come back another day and remove by hand.
First person view of  what I was doing
While ripping out roots I found and dug out lots and lots of tiny bamboo shoots just sitting there 10-20 cm under ground and waiting to pop out. By lunchtime I had dug the area behind the stacked bamboo.
The devastation I caused
I had 3-4 hours left before the guy came to get his backhoe. So I figured I would dig a bit further to the south, But the stacked bamboo was in the way and I started using the machine to move them layer by layer. However I was not very careful and noticed that the bamboo would break very easily when I missed. After a while I had unintentionally made quite a mess out of chipped bamboo. CHIPPED! This was way easier and way more fun than the chipper I had used before. So I started spreading the stacked bamboo all over the plot and drove the hoe back and forth on top of them...
Fun and messy
Now this is what I call flattening. It just took me a couple of hours to transform the remaining stack of old bamboo into woodchip.
All done! All flat.
I didn't get to dig more to the south but now I could see the whole plot. Next I will come back and remove the roots by hand, keep a trench to the north and make a couple of rows to plant stuff.
The obligatory picture from South East
On my way to the rendezvous point I used the shovel to clean out and tidy the path along the plots, all the way. Bonus.
After a long day's work

No comments:

Post a Comment