Monday, March 16, 2020

Early spring in the garden

I have been too busy/lazy to do anything in the garden. There are beds just waiting to be populated by all kinds of vegetables but I am still waiting for the carrots and daikon to come out. For some reason they just popped out a few tiny leafs and then did't grow at all. Maybe my timing was all wrong, and it was too cold. But that kind of demotivated me a lot and now there are no tomatoes or peppers or cucumbers or eggplants or any other fun things being started. In fact I decided that I had too many beds and will just keep the three-level long beds in the backyard plus the one longest and closest to the house in the garden, as well as the 2 newest ones I made in the space behind the cherry and peach saplings, plus the tiny one closest to the chicken run.
The rest (the two beds next to the blueberries, currently populated by green peas and broad beans, as well as the wide bed in the center with still some strawberries surviving in it) I will plant trees in.
I was going to order one more apple tree, to match with the new one I planted recently, but I need to first wait and see when this one blooms, and buy an apple tree that blooms the same time. So that is waiting...
In addition I wanted to plant pears. I need two. And then I wanted to add one more mikan for good measure. Not sure what else I should buy, if any.
So last week my order of saplings arrived, and I planted the mikan in the backyard, between the new peach tree which is growing nicely, and the yuzu which just keeps getting taller without blooming or anything. Actually I had that space reserved for passion fruits up till now but after two consecutive winter explosions I realized passion fruit cannot survive outside here.
mikan. May it live long and prosper
The pears I planted in the wide center bed. The surviving strawberries that were in the way I moved carefully to the backyard bed, hoping they won't die there. Also the rest of the strawberries I just left as they were, so the bed is not empty with just two pear saplings in it.
The pear saplings
One of the pears has no branches yet... the other (in the far side in the picture) has branches and actually a flower too. I bought them from the same place making sure their blooming season matches.
The rest of the garden is starting to show signs of spring...
The peach in the backyard
The peach in the garden
The soon-to-become-tree-beds with beans and peas
The winner of the "I didn't know these were here" awards
Even the plum tree is exploding with flowers. This year it is extra important for its survival to show me some proper fruits. During the winter on sunny days I have been spraying it several times with neem oil to fight off the fungus that caused the plum-pocket disease the previous years. So I would like to see some results. If not, then I am not sure if I want to keep that tree.... just for all its beautiful flowers, and then a big fuck-you in the summer in form of many many plum-pockets.
Trying to stay positive
Come on... don't get sick

No comments:

Post a Comment