Monday, March 9, 2020

First day with the machine

Saturday morning 8 A.M. the backhoe arrived. It was the biggest size that could pass the narrow path to my plot so it was a mini model. Just over 170 cm wide.
Being offloaded
I got a quick instruction about how it worked and what each lever did, and the guy left me to drive the digger to my plot. I was nervous getting through the forest road with the hoe tracks almost touching the borders. But somehow I got it all the way in one piece. Driving was actually the easiest part. The digging levers were a bit more complicated to get used to...
At the "entrance"
So I started digging a bit lightly to get used to the controls, and dug around an old bamboo to see what the roots look like.
The first piece of rhizomes I took out
As I kind of already knew, the plot is covered in a net of roots. I didn't measure but I guess they don't go deeper than 1 meter into the soil.
Oh... cleaning these out will take forever
I was still driving around and digging sporadically. It was much more fun than I thought to learn operating the machine so I dragged it out, hehe.
Forgot why I took this, but I'm sure it has something interesting
It was a nice and sunny day and I just kept getting better and better at what I was doing... I didn't want to have wasted away a whole day though, so towards the end I used the machine's shovel to gather all the sugi leafs to one side of the plot. That way it felt like I had accomplished something while learning. 
The day is almost done

No comments:

Post a Comment