Thursday, January 25, 2018

Fertility test

Came home a bit early to check the nest. Two eggs were there waiting for me, both as cold as the wind outside. As I thought, no point in incubating them when I have the chance of fresh ones in the weekend. Plus I wanted to check if the eggs the birds lay now a week later still are good for incubating...
Right, slender and light. Left, chubby and dark. 
As I was cracking them I noticed the shells were exceptionally hard. Really never seen eggs so tough before. I had to hit them hard twice to crack open. I wonder if little chickens really can manage breaking through on their own. Worry worry.
right, slender. left, dark. Insides are opposite though
I could only spot the bulls-eye on one of them. Oh well, one of the hens is preggo so 50% chance if I incubate all eggs.
But just as a last try, I took a fork and gently turned the "non-fertile" egg around.
Voila!
The spot was hiding below. So, both hens are laying eggs with bulls-eye. I hope that means they are fertile.
If I'm really unlucky, these were the last ones, and the eggs from tomorrow and Sunday will be dummies... Guess I can only know by cracking eggs on Monday and check.
You can't make an omelette without.
Added a bit of spice. Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment