Monday, January 8, 2018

The mighty boosh

With the new year holidays I had a bit of time on my hands to tidy up the garden.
Especially there are a couple of areas that I have grown accustomed to throw cut-down trees, unwanted branches and stuff on, which have piled up to big obstacles. One of these is right next to the chicken run (next to the blueberry). I moved all of the branches from there, which occupied a good four square meters area, and put them behind the chicken run where they can decay naturally. The strip behind the chicken run is where a drop in land height happens, so I don't grow or put anything useful there. Also it is a bit of uncertain area, as I just used my eyes and no other measurement when I put a net fence between my land and the neighbor's. As long as it is not a concrete wall or steel fence or something more permanent, the neighbor won't mind as it is just the drop edge of their "Jungle". Putting the branches on that strip also has a bonus effect of deterring the cats from walking there and jumping the net to the jungle. They really don't like sticks and branches pointing in all directions where they walk.
That is why I put all those sticks next to the front gate too.
Anyway, now there is a nice and clear patch of land next to the blueberries.
The other place where lots of wood and branches was gathered was next to the garden entrance to the backyard slope (if that makes any sense). It was a huuuge pile of the stuff. I got rid of those as well. Chopped up the bigger branches for burning, and the smaller sticks distributed along the aforementioned strip. Amazing how much new land was cleared out. Only bad thing is that it is slopy.
After cleaning up
And just in case you forgot what it looked like before...
Note the huge pile on the left
So with all this cleaned out, the boosh in the backyard started looking really bad. I was thinking about cutting it down but now I really could see how terrible it was. It just cannot wait.
The mighty boosh
And to add to the trouble, there was this irritating weed with all its runners spread all over the ground beneath the boosh, and every opportunity it got it climbed a branch and turned into a thicker woodier version of itself.
Close-up. The mighty under boosh
I spent a couple of days, cutting the boosh and unearthing it along with the crawling weed from hell and its evil roots. My bad luck, those days had really strong winds and I got lots of dirt blown into my eyes while digging things out. However I became expert at spotting even tiny weed sprouts and untangling their long widespread roots deep from underground. It was very rewarding when I was all done. I did leave the mini-bamboos and their rhizomes, which I hope will rot if I keep cutting their leafs as often as I see them.
Here is what I removed
And yet another big chunk of land is unveiled...
Nice, eh? I did leave a couple of trees which I believe are flower trees. If not, I will cut them later.
And here are a couple of pictures from after I got rid of the garbage.
Tidy and ready to use
The whole backyard is starting to look kind of ok
The backyard
I did get inspired by the cleanness and called up a construction company to come and look at how much it would cost to replace the slope with 3 real concrete walled levels of 6 meters length. Still waiting for their answer...


No comments:

Post a Comment